Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis at 13 months...

Default Mastitis at 13 months...

I got a really bad case right on Mother's Day
    I was feeling so horrible, that I had to go to ER, get antibiotics and painkillers.
    And now, it just does not feel like the big wedge in my boob is getting any better. My kid, of course, refuses to nurse much - which is how I got mastitis in the first place, he decided that he has no time for nurses since there are so many more interesting things around during the day...
    Any suggestions??? What can I do?
    I was told if it does not get better in 3 days, they will have to cut, and I really don't want that to happen...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: Mastitis at 13 months...

I feel your pain. I found that hot showers while massaging it helps bunches. I believe I had a mastitis also it made me soooo sick Thursday night and most of Friday. A heating pad helped also when I couldn't shower and another thing I found that helped but sounds funny is lying LO on floor and being on all fours while nursing it let gravity help also. Good Luck and Happy Mother's Day
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Thank you!
    Trying to lay the little one on the floor to nurse was really quiet funny He just wiggled and ran away.
    Will try to shower shortly...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

I have the exact same thing happening! My 13 month old son won't stay on long enough. Earlier today I noticed a red spot underneath my right breast and a little discomfort. We've been nursing at least every 2 hours, but the redness is spreading. I'm getting nervous! Happy Mother's Day, right? lol.

I have a script for dicloxacillin on stand-by, but I'm trying the garlic route first. I just chopped up 4 cloves...took me 2 bottles of water to get it all down. Ick.

I also took lecithin, ate an orange for vitamin c, massaged it in a hot shower, held a sock full of hot uncooked rice (microwaved it) before I nursed. Not helping....

My biggest problem is that he started sleeping through the night a few weeks ago. I'm actually going to have to wake him up to nurse!

Hope you feel better soon! I feel your pain

***I haven't gone to the ER bc I have the abx script, but what are you taking? I've read a lot of ppl don't have luck with dicloxacillin because so many strains of staph are now resistant to the 1st line meds. The idea of MRSA in my breast scares me. Did they culture your bm?
    Last edited by @llli*jackaroos.mom; May 8th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

I second the idea of massaging the breast in a hot bath or shower. I used to run a hot bath, add epsom salts (which are antibacterial), and just massage massage massage. If it hurts, you're doing it right.

Also, drink a TON of water, get as much rest as possible, and try some of these measures.

I have also heard that some varieties of mastitis can be resistant to some antibiotics, and that they can actually culture your milk to determine the strain. I would certainly try that before cutting into it, if you can help it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.