Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nonstop crying

Default Nonstop crying

DS has been crying since 11am today and it's now 8:30pm (apparently he doesn't understand that it's Mother's Day). The only thing that gets him to stop is nursing. So that is what I have been doing. All day long.

He's 10 weeks old. He hasn't pooped since Tuesday. We think he had a cold (lots of snot, no fever) a week and a half ago, but he is still having residual snot. He has had some eye goop for a few days now (we're seeing the doctor tomorrow). He does not have a fever today (we checked three times - underarm and rectal). I don't think I have eaten anything different recently.

We're approaching bedtime, and we're not sure what to do. I can't keep him latched onto me all night long, but he screams like he is in pain whenever I take him off.

Any thoughts on why he's screaming so much or what we can do to calm him??

Default Re: Nonstop crying

Wow, happy Mother's Day!

Why your LO is acting this way... Could be a lot of things. Ear infection, some other illness, discomfort from having a lot of poop that needs to pass, growth spurt, colic...

I'd try a warm bath and a trip outside. If those things don't work, just keep nursing!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you done some bicycle legs to help things. . .loosen up down below?

If you canmanage to look up some infant tummy massage techniques, it might help him go. Assuming that is the issue.

And

Any possibility for a trip in the car? My LO loves the movement. When that diesn't work, putting on a static radio station helps ALOT.

At home, the vacuum is currently permanently plugged in. He often will calm down to it if he is inconsolable. I took a "Happiest Baby on the Block" class (Harvey Karp's book) and the loud noises remind them of the womb.

In fact, he's techniques are really helpful for colic-
    1.Swaddling- tight!
    2. Side-should position- hold him like a football facing out
    3. Shhhing- loud shhs, vacuum, dishwasher, etc.
    4. Swinging- in a swing, car, or just bouncing up and down. There is a video of him lightly vibrating a baby's head
    5. Suckling- you have that part down

They say if you apply each of these one at a time you trigger a baby's calming reflex, and they should chill out. Definitely check it out when things aren't so crazy!

And Happy Mother's Day! You are doing an amazing job bfing after eping.

Thanks for all of the ideas! He finally fell asleep around 10pm and has been fine since. It was the craziest thing! We unsuccessfully tried to make him poop (bicycle legs and rectal thermometer), but maybe it was just a belly ache?? I hope it wasn't colic that is going to last like this for a long time. I can't handle this kind of crying every day for such a long period of time!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    You are doing an amazing job bfing after eping.
    Thank you! Man, I have no idea what I would have done if I wasn't BFing!!

Poor mama.

I'm glad he feel asleep. Poor baby.

I used to find that if I just stepped outside it stop the crying.

I would suggest trying to read the Happiest Baby on the Block. It might also help to see if you can side lay to nurse. It was a little tricky at first, but then we got the hang of it.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!