Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does let down feel like?

Default What does let down feel like?

Hi,
    this is my first post. I have a 9 day old, and we've had difficulty breastfeeding. He's been very sleepy or fussy at the breast. We're currently Bf'ing and pumping, sometimes having to use formula if he won't latch on and I haven't pumped enough. I'm trying to work on getting my supply to increase.

Anyhow, I don't have a "let down" feeling when we nurse or with pumping. I was just wondering what others experience had been, or how to know when it happens.

Default Re: What does let down feel like?

Welcome mama, my let down feels like pinching almost. At 9 days IMHO you should be nursing on demand and not worried so much with pumping, unless there is more to the story. Pumping can fixate you on on a number and is NOT a valid indicator of supply. Keep in mind at this age baby's tummy is only as big as a shooter marble so they need to eat constantly it seems. They are also building up your supply. Every time to offer formula you are setting your body back, you are telling it to not make milk so avoiding formula and nursing on demand is a great idea.

How is baby's latch? Babies are sleepy at the breast and that's ok, just burp him/her, tickle their feet, undress them, change their diaper and they will wake up and likely want to eat again.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Another thing to consider is that you may not "feel" a letdown. A lot of mamas don't. Offering the breast often (nursing on demand) will go towards increasing and establishing your supply. A good indicator has always been the amount of wet and dirty diapers your LO has.

I agree with PP here that pumping will sometimes have you fixated on a number. Your LO is the most effective at emptying the breast so the pump may not be a good indicator of supply.

This link addresses fussiness:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Here's a link to some great latching help videos: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

With my daughter I didn't feel a let down for the first three or four months! And then when I started feeling it it was a tingly, pins and needles type feeling... and it hurt! (Briefly).

The experience is different for everyone.

Don't worry about whether you feel it or not. Best way to increase your supply is get your baby to nurse as often as possible and make sure that you are pumping for every supplemented bottle to ensure that your breasts are stimulated even when the baby receives formula.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I guess I tried to make the story short. We had trouble latching on in the hospital, and baby was too sleepy even with trying hard to wake him up to do much. They tried to encourage formula in the hospital, which I refused. We were discharged on a Sunday, with only a script for an electric pump, no way to get one until Monday. At our 3 day old pediatrician visit (that Monday), baby had lost slightly over 10% body weight. We had to supplement at that point. The next day he was up 4 oz, so must have been somewhat dehydrated. He's been pretty steady since then, up several more oz at our last LC visit. We have another pedi appointment tomorrow, and I'm worried that letting him eat on demand he won't get enough. For example, we last nursed at 3:15. Now it's 6:30, and he acted hungry (pursing lips while sleeping, smacking lips, so I woke him up). He latched on for 2 minutes after fussing angrily and trying to stick his hands in his mouth. Now he's asleep again and won't latch on if I wake him up, just screams. So do I let him sleep until he acts hungry again, or keep waking him up to try and nurse?

Hmmm, can you see an IBCLC? I'm willing to bet your pedi is going to push formula when you need some hands on help for breast feeding. Has baby been checked at all for tongue tie? I'm wondering how to work on his latch and make him a more effective nurser. An IBCLC can also do a weigh feed weigh test to see what his milk removal is like.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Here is a link to find one in your area
    http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3337
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Monday after our pedi appt when they told us we had to use formula, we drove straight to the lactation consultant we saw for a pre-baby breastfeeding class, who is an IBCLC.

Overall, things are getting better, but it's like 2 steps forward and 1 step back, which gets frustrating.

Oh mama, I remember those early days-so frustrating!! I'll say for me, I felt that 3 weeks was the magic age when I felt like we were finally getting the hang of breastfeeding-I remember one day just feelign so relaxed and realizing I hadn't felt that way before!
    What I would do is just park myself on the couch or bed and do lots of skin to skin and just nurse nurse nurse (if you are not already) this is important in establishing your supply!
    Can I ask-did you have a vaginal birth or a c/section? If you were given IV fluids that can temporarily increase baby's weight too, not just moms!! I believe the rule of thumb is that baby has gained their birth weight back by two weeks of age? Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
    Here is some info on waking a sleepy newborn (and another link here)

Do you co sleep? If not, are you willing to do so?? I've read here and experienced myself how much it helped in the beginning when establishing breastfeeding, and you can work on "dream feeding" if baby is really sleepy!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

What is dream feeding? I've heard that mentioned before but wasn't sure what that meant. Baby sleeps in a bedside co-sleeper (or we give up, and I go sleep on the couch with him in his rock-n-play). The last 2 nights we've stayed in the bedroom and baby nurses while I'm laying down. He usually wakes up every 3-4 hours overnight.

I had a vaginal delivery, but it was in the OR under threat of impending vacuum-assist or c-section. Fluids were definitely running wide open. I'm sure some of his birthweight was fluid.