Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding issues

Default Breastfeeding issues

Okay, I will have to give a little background on breastfeeding my daughter. When I was not pregnant I switched medications (for my epilepsy) to make sure I do not have anymore. (After my son was born I had 2 seizures, due to many reasons and then had another 5 months later) So I switched and made sure that it was safe for the baby during pregnancy and breastfeeding. My neroglist said it was very safe, so I was very happy about that. I got pregnant with my daughter and when I gave birth (7 pounds 6 ounces) to her my daughter pediatrion said I could not breastfeed!!! This was a total shock to me. He said it was not safe for her. So not wanting to put her in any harm I bottle fed her. The pediatrion consulted my neurologist and and a pediatric neurolgist before agreeing that it would be okay. But you could tell the pediatrion was not complely okay with this. After alot of stress of trying to resolve wheather it was safe I was finally able to breastfeed her (yea!) My daughter had serious nipple confusion, and I was in alot of pain. I fed her on a regular schedule and she had gained weight (7 pounds 9 ounces) by she was a week old. Her pediatrion said that was borderline of what she needed to gain. (I question that b/c of the drugs) Anyways, by the time she was 5 weeks old she was 8 pounds 12 ounces, I was pleased. When I had taken her in for at that time was that she was very fussy and did not want to eat (but clearly was hungry) The doctor said she might have a stomach bug so no worries. Well the problem only got worse, so I took he in 5 days later and she lost 3 ounces. Turned out she had a cow's milk allergy (the protien in the milk), I cut out all the dairy foods (which is torture for me, but she is worth it) and she improved, no more crying and she ate better. The nipple confusion had pretty much went away by that time. Just recently about a week ago she has started to eat less at feedings, I know this does happen (but at when she is 7 weeks?!) along with this her poopies have gone way down. She did not have a bowel movement for 2 1/2 days and it drove me nuts so I put a glycern suppository in her and she had a HUGE bowel movement. She looked very happy after that. The next day she did not have bowel movement, but I waited till the next day to give her the suppository and when she had the bowel movment but was straining to get it out. I do not want to keep on giving her suppositorys, but I do not know what to do about this. I am worried now that she might not be gaining enough weight. Her 2 month appt. is wednesday and I am afraid that the pediatrion will want to put on formula or supplement with it. I am not against formula, but I do not want to bottle feed her with formula because of the nipple confusion. And I defintly do not want to exculsivly feed her formula. I know that my daughter is going to be petite because she had a new cousin born about 4 days ago and my daughter was just as big as she was! (in length, and possible weight too) Her cousin is 8 pounds 6 ounces. I am so worried about the formula, how much should she have gained by now? Does her being petite factor into this? Do you think I am not producing enough milk she eats every 2 1/2 hours and feeds on one breast for 10-15 minutes and sometimes feeds on the other. I have no idea what I can do to make the situation better. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Breastfeeding issues

Poor Mama. I am so sorry. You have come to a great place and it sounds like you really are doing your best. I have to urge you not to do the suppositories any more. It is very normal for a breastfed baby to go days(up to 2 weeks) without a bowel movement. My daughter goes about 2-3 times a week. They should really only be used when it is severe constipation which is when the poo is actually a hard ball. A warm soak in the bath ought to do the trick for the most part. The best thing you can do is offer your little one the breast very often. If she is eating every 2 or 3 hours offer her it every one to two hours. Supplementing means a decrease in your milk because you are not feeding her as often. Your supply is based on how often you feed your baby. And if she will eat longer or take both breasts, let her. It sounds like you are doing great. Browse through the LLL Frequently Asked Questions and you will find a lot of great info there. Keep up the good work.

Hi and congratulations on your baby and reaching the point where you are with nursing! So, if I read your post correctly, your baby was 7 pounds 6 ounces at birth and 7 pounds 9 ounces at one week? Generally, doctor's like to see babies be back to birth weight by two weeks of age. So, I don't understand how being 3 ounces above birth weight already at one week could be "borderline". That sounds very good to me. What you describe with your baby's stools is also very normal (as the PP said). After about 6 weeks of age, many BF babies start to have bowel movements much less frequently. Straining is also normal (imagine trying to go with a diaper on while laying down . It should only be a concern if the stools become hard and dry. Breastmilk stools are generally very runny. How many wet diapers are you seeing in a 24 hour period? If you are seeing at least 6 wet diapers that is a good sign that baby is getting enough milk.

According to The Breastfeeding Answer Book, average weight gain for a BF baby for the first 3-4 months is 6 ounces per week, but it's considered ok for some babies to gain 4-5 ounces per week. That should give you an idea of where you'd like her weight to be by her 2 month appointment.

Your baby's nursing patterns also sound very normal. It is best to feed on cue (i.e. whenever the baby appears to be hungry) and offer the breast frequently. Continue to offer the second breast after you are sure she has finished the first, but it is ok if she doesn't want to take it all the time. Many babies will only nurse from one breast at a feeding.

It sounds like you are doing a great job!

Sometimes when babies are sick their weight gain will slow. Make sure to remind the doctor your baby was sick during that time.
    Don't be afraid to call your local lll leader if you get into a spot.
    most newborns nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours if you nurse on demand.
    As long as she is having wet diapars that she needs you know she is doing fine.
    Ive got to get my kids to preschool..
    check back in later

IF you are concerned about the number of poo's, my baby only goes 1-2 times per week. At first I would wait 3 days and then give her half a suppository. Then her dr told me to wait a week for her to go on her own unless she seems uncomfortable or in pain. Amazingly, she does go on her own about every 5 days. When she does go, she normally goes 2-3 times that day.
    As far as the nipple confusion, try a Lact-Aide nursing system. You can buy it online. It has a little tube that you put on your nipple, so as the baby nurses from you, she gets a supplement from a bag around your neck. It works great and has been a life saver since my daughter won't take a bottle, but needs occasional supplementing. Good luck

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate your advise and support. I will stop giving her the suppositories, and hold back from giving it to her. Part of me was thinking that since she was not having several bowel movements per day was an indicator that she was not getting enough to eat. The other side of that is that my son still has 2 bowel movements per day (he is 2 1/2) so another reason why I was worried. Anyways, I will hold off on the suppositories.

She has wet diapers every time I feed her, sometimes alot sometimes very little. She sleeps for 8 hours during the night and will be a little wet when she wakes up for her feeding. By the next feeding she has a good size wet diaper. I hope she has gained properly, I feed her every 2 1/2 hours and sometimes in between that if she gets hungry again. Funny, I never really had to worry about this with my son....he is 2 and almost as tall as of a 5 year old! He eats all the time! She is going to be petite and my son a giant! (he eats crasins as we speak) Let see, she is supposed to be 10 pounds and 1ounce if I am doing the math right. I will let you know as soon as I find out

I will try that nursing system should l need to use it. How much does it cost?

Thanks again!

Yea!!!! She gained more than what she needed to do!!!! 10 pounds 6 ounces
    the doctor was happy about it and said nothing about formula!!!! Wahooo!