Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sick momma, milk won't let down

Default sick momma, milk won't let down

Ladies I am running a mild fever with severe body aches and headache. I am trying to nurse but my milk will not let down. I took a percocet so I can function. Because otherwise I am in soo much pain I cannot sleep or focus on anything. What can I do to get letdown? I am getting engorged and I sure don't need mastsis again!
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Default Re: sick momma, milk won't let down

Are you sure it's not mastitis? Not letting down could be a function of the bad plugs that come with mastitis- that plus the body aches and the breast pain really are suggestive of it.

Drink lots of water, try breast massage, try hand expression, take a warm bath or shower... One or all of those things could help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with mommal. Also, you can try using gravity to your advantage. Get on hands and knees, soak your breasts in very warm water, gently massage. And consider maybe calling your health care provider to rule out mastitis. I hope you feel better soon.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thanks, mamas. I got my milk to let down finally, the baby just had to work for it! I don't think it's mastitis. I had it before and I have no lumps or soreness in either breast. I have a sore throat, fever and a really awful body aches/headaches. My son just recovered from roseola, I wonder it could be that. I never had it.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Good news! I hope you get better very quickly.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012