Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sudden onset nipple/breast pain

Default sudden onset nipple/breast pain

Hi - baby is 5.5 wks old, have been struggling with inverted nipple pain, cracks/bleeding (resolved mostly), yeast (treated with diflucan/nystatin, both of us), was using the US equivalent of APNO and recently transitioned to MotherLove ointment (staying off lanolin on the advice of LC because of the potential for yeast to return).

Problem: the right side has become acutely painful in the last day. VERY painful when he latches on, both the nipple and surrounding areola.. mostly on the top side.. pain somewhat decreases as he eats but not entirely, and that breast is sensitive the rest of the time. I was just at the OB for postpartum visit yesterday, she felt both breasts and didnt feel any clogs/etc. What might be causing this and, more importantly, how to fix it? I'm massaging that breast frequently, esp while he eats, and keeping it warm between feeds. AFAIK nothing has changed in his latch, but that side was not painful before on latch. it sure is now.

Thanks-

Default Re: sudden onset nipple/breast pain

The following make me think it's thrush:
    - Pain that comes on after a period of trouble-free nursing
    - Pain that persists after the feeding is over
    - You already had thrush- and it can be hard to beat completely!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with pp and also sometimes thrush can lead to a bacterial infection. I would go talk to a doctor. It might be time for an antibiotic
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

don't know if this will help in the DX... the nipple/areola/part of surrounding breast are painful to the touch before feeding, excruciating at latch, becomes less painful as he feeds (and slows down/gets sleepy), less painful to the touch after he's done.. painful between feeds if that breast is bumped into something or if he lies on that side of my chest... repeat the cycle at next feeding.

There was some engorgement on that side on Thursday afternoon, and the pain began sometime Friday. since then that side has been soft.

Thanks-