Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! so torn :(

Default Re: Help! so torn :(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaofgirlies View Post
    Thank you, yes my mom offers to take her all the time, its just a matter of being able to pump enough to hold her over. If she is given a bottle of breastmilk she can easily down 4-5oz before she is satisfied. So is just stressful tryin to pump enouh for someone to take her. And also when everyone else thinks everytime she cries she must be hungry so they bringher to be right away.
    But this is about your expectation of how much she drinks. In reality there is really no way that a 6 weeks old is drinking this much from your breast. It does NOT sound like you have a supply issue to me. It sounds like you actually have an abundance of milk and were overwhelmed with the marathon feeding involved with the 6 week growth spurt. It is totally normal for them to eat nonstop for 3-5 days while they readjust your supply. Do NOT supplement again. She is trying to get you to make more milk. The only way she can get your body to catch up is to have access to it. It should be over inside of 5 days.
    It also sounds like you are overfeeding her with a bottle.
    If you are getting 2-3oz at each breast Make TWO bottles out of that. Not one. Just because a child WILL finish a bottle does NOT mean they need that much milk. Bottle feeding interferes with a child's ability to self regulate. They learn to drink until the bottle is gone. And you probably assume she needs more as she is getting older because that is true of formula fed kids. It is NOT the same when you breastfeed. They never usually drink more than 2-3 oz at the breast. Because the milk composition is always growing and changing with the child. So they don't ever need more in a single sitting. When they need more they up the number of times in a day they feed. Not oz at a feed. Does that make sense?
    Anyway, Relax. Step AWAY from the formula. You are fine. It's a growth spurt. And BTW 11:30 to 4am is a GREAT chunk of time for a newborn to sleep!
    You can do this. Stay focused.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaofgirlies View Post
    Thank you, yes my mom offers to take her all the time, its just a matter of being able to pump enough to hold her over. If she is given a bottle of breastmilk she can easily down 4-5oz before she is satisfied. So is just stressful tryin to pump enouh for someone to take her. And also when everyone else thinks everytime she cries she must be hungry so they bringher to be right away.
    Hi mama, no, it looks like 'unsatisfied' to our adult eyes, but it's not the case.
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-B.htm#Fussiness

Normal infant fussiness starts at about 1-3 weeks, peaks at about 6-8 weeks and is gone by about 3-4 months. Most babies will "fuss" about 2-4 hours per day, no matter what you do...Many times during a baby's fussy time they will refuse the breast. After several frustrating attempts at nursing, the parents may "break down" and offer a bottle of expressed breastmilk or formula thinking that the fussiness is related to low supply or something wrong with mom's milk. Kathy gives a better understanding of this particular concern here, as well as explaining what happens when baby is offered a bottle and "guzzles" it down:

Parents who don't know this is "normal" frequently respond as you did by giving a bottle because they think the baby isn't "happy or satisfied" with the breast. When the bottle goes in the baby's mouth the mouth fills with milk, the baby is obligated to swallow and the action of swallowing initiates another suck. The suck again fills the mouth and the cycle repeats, giving an appearance of the baby "gulping the bottle down hungrily".

This of course only contributes to mom and dad's fear that the baby wasn't getting enough at the breast and they keep offering more and more bottles (understandably). Which then causes a true low milk supply. Often the baby falls asleep peacefully after this episode which also reinforces to the parents that the bottle was just what the baby needed. What has really happened is the baby has by coincidence come to the natural conclusion of the fussy spell (most parents give the bottle as a last resort which means the fussiness has been going on for awhile) and/or the baby has withdrawn because "gulping" down the bottle was actually stressful and NOT what the baby wanted but she could not stop the flow, so exhausted, she falls asleep. So don't offer bottles during any fussy time.

DJ's Mom replied whilst I was replying--I totally agree with her! This will be over in a couple of days.

Try babywearing too, and have another caregiver take the baby just after a feeding to change her if necc. but wear her--absolutely. Babywearing reduces crying. Also think about safe co-sleeping so you can get some rest and baby can bf. I have pregnancy anemia and it saves me.
    Last edited by @llli*bxlgirl; May 7th, 2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: DJ's Mom
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Hi mama, no, it looks like 'unsatisfied' to our adult eyes, but it's not the case.
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-B.htm#Fussiness

This of course only contributes to mom and dad's fear that the baby wasn't getting enough at the breast and they keep offering more and more bottles (understandably). Which then causes a true low milk supply. Often the baby falls asleep peacefully after this episode which also reinforces to the parents that the bottle was just what the baby needed. What has really happened is the baby has by coincidence come to the natural conclusion of the fussy spell (most parents give the bottle as a last resort which means the fussiness has been going on for awhile) and/or the baby has withdrawn because "gulping" down the bottle was actually stressful and NOT what the baby wanted but she could not stop the flow, so exhausted, she falls asleep. So don't offer bottles during any fussy time. .

wow such great advice here, I wish I had found this forum when we went through the growth spurt! I thought I had low milk supply too, but it wasn't the case.

Anyway you can just spend a few days in bed with your LO? Surround yourself with lots of snacks & beverages and have other people around you help out with the other stuff whilst you focus on the LO and yourself?
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!