Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: one breast per feeding?

Default one breast per feeding?

My boy seems to really want to eat from just one breast per feeding. Is this ok? I alternate breasts and there is no mistaking which one needs to feed him at which time, as it is full and ready to be emptied! It's just that he falls asleep after eating and since the time that he spends eating varies, it is hard to cut in in half and move him to the other breast. Plus, when i move him to the other breast, he sometimes loses interest and i am not sure if it is because he is full, or becuase i disrupted him. So, i prefer to let him eat off of one side until he falls away on his own.

Just want to know if this is ok. Thanks!

Default Re: one breast per feeding?

Absolutely! "Finish the first breast first". When he comes off on his own, you can go ahead and try the other side. If he doesn't take it, no worries.

HTH!

Default thank you!

one more question. if i pump milk, and it is only 2 ounces - can i add milk to that same container later? either hours later or a day or two later if it is refirgerated? Thanks!

Default Re: thank you!

You sure can. Simply cool it first.

I would like to mention, though, that it is a good idea to store in smaller increments for less waste.

I have a follow up question to this....what if the child just stops nursing but doesn't unlatch. DD will just start sucking....really slowly. Is she done on this side or is this normal? Part of the time she's really dozing, and then she'll suck, and then doze. Should I take her off and try the other side...or really wait until she unlatches?

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    You sure can. Simply cool it first.

I would like to mention, though, that it is a good idea to store in smaller increments for less waste.
    When you say cool it first, you mean thaw it? If it is frozen, than i can thaw it and add milk to it?

If it is in the fridge, it is already cool - so can i add fresh milk to refrigerared milk?

and thanks for the tip on storing in smaller increments - how small would you suggest? 2 oz? 4 oz?

Thanks again!

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I believe the milk that needs to be cooled is the newest milk, that you just barely pumped. Otherwise pouring body-temperature milk into the frozen milk would thaw the frozen milk, and you want to keep frozen milk frozen until you're ready for it. Cool the newest milk in the fridge, then dump it in either with the other milk in the fridge or the frozen milk. Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken!

Personally, I stored milk at 2 oz until my little guy was consistently eating 4 oz bottles. Then I did 4 oz.

Congratulations on your new one!

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamakazi View Post
    When you say cool it first, you mean thaw it? If it is frozen, than i can thaw it and add milk to it?
    If you have milk that is already cool, you can add fresh milk to it if you cool it first.

If it is in the fridge, it is already cool - so can i add fresh milk to refrigerared milk?
    It's best to cool the fresh milk before adding to the refrigerated milk.

and thanks for the tip on storing in smaller increments - how small would you suggest? 2 oz? 4 oz?
    2 oz is a good start for a newborn. If more is needed, you can always warm more. For an older baby 3-4 ounces is a good amount.

Here's some more info on storage:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

perfect, thank you! i dont plan to feed him from a bottle yet. i keep hearing about nipple confusion so had planned to wait until at LEAST 4 weeks in. But i have had 2 people tell me not to wait too long because their kids ended up not taking a bottle!

my hubby really wanted to be involved in feedings, though