Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long to use a bottle for EBM?

Default How long to use a bottle for EBM?

Hello! My kiddo just turned 12 months. I pump at work, my partner is home full time, and feeds the baby 4-6 oz of EBM with bottles while I'm gone.

I've heard that by 12-14 months, they should generally stop using bottles, and move on to sippy cups. Is this true for breastfed babies as well, or another leftover from formula babies, who generally stop getting formula at that time?

I'm just wondering if there's any reason for us to actively move away from the bottle, and put the breastmilk into a different container. (Though there's no end in sight for the nursing, I would like to stop pumping soon, so the whole issue may be moot in a few months...).

Thanks!
    First time mom to Rob, born 5/4/10.

I thought I was a breastfeeding advocate before I had a baby.... now I've realized I'm a breastfeeding nut! A supporter, defender, shout-it-from-the-rooftop crazy lady!

Default Re: How long to use a bottle for EBM?

I never paid attention to those reccomendations. I don't see what the big deal is if they drink milk out of a bottle My DD only drank milk out of the bottle and only when I was at work. She drank water from a cup starting when she began solids.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

It's really about your comfort level. There's no rule. I hated pumping so I hung it up around 15-16 months old. Then we would give her soy milk in a sippy - we did soy because of anemia. But I didn't stop nursing when we were together. It's totally up to you.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I would at least try to use a cup for water so she's knows how to drink from a cup.

I tried to move away from bottle starting at 6 mos but it was to no avail. She took a bottle of EBM once a week until just a few weeks ago at 20 mos. I think it's important to remember that they can get attached to their bottles, too, and to wean gently off a bottle and not go too quickly.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I have always thought that the recomendation to stop bottle use had to do with their teeth and oral development not the switch from formula to milk
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

depends on the child. My DD refused to drink from a sippy until after 15 months so there was no getting rid of the bottle. DS has been drinking from a sippy since about 8 months (though he still gets occasional bottles).
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Honestly, I tried putting my pumped milk in a sippy and it just did not work for us. He likes to shake sippy's and smush the liquid around, whether it is water or breastmilk. And I couldn't bear to see my precious milk wasted so we use bottle still for that milk while I am at work (I still pump at work at 19 months and thats a personal choice)
    When I am home, he only nurses or drinks water from a regular cup.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    I have always thought that the recomendation to stop bottle use had to do with their teeth and oral development not the switch from formula to milk

There is also some thought that extended bottle use contributes to obesity.

I'll have to find the link I saw...
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    I have read this too. BUT I think in certain cases it's not really relavant. My mom was trying to give me a hard time about it and I just told her Look, my DD has TWO bottles of milk a day when I am at work which she finishes in like 5 minutes. I just don't see how that can cause any harm. I've also heard that the problem is that the kids are carrying around the bottles all day, sipping milk, or juice all day long and that is what causes the decay I don't know though.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby