Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning with Mastitis?

Lightbulb Weaning with Mastitis?

I plan to wean my baby in one month.

Have been pumping most of the time and bottle feed the breast milk.
    The main reason for pumping is:

Sometimes, the baby gets lazy at breasts and the leftover in my breast could lead to mastitis. I easily get mastitis (almost 1 time each month: fever/antibiotics/tylenol...)

Now it is time to wean, I know the basic ways for weaning:
    just squeez a little bit milk to make the breasts relieved.
    bear the engorgement...
    But I am afraid of getting mastitis again,
    that way, I would have to empty the breast to treat the mastitis and my milk supply will get back...

So my question is:
    How do I wean if I can easily get clogged and mastitis?
    Any medications to help the process?

Thank you[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Default Re: Weaning with Mastitis?

The weaning method you mentioned is just one way to wean, and it's generally not the recommended method because it puts you at greater risk for engorgement and mastitis. And if you're already prone to mastitis... The benefit of the weaning method you mention is that it's fast. But fast isn't always best!

The other way of weaning is to go slow. Instead of dropping all the feedings/pumping sessions at once, and putting up with the engorgement, you drop a single session at a time, wait a few days, and then drop another. This allows your milk supply to decrease a little at a time, and should reduce your risk of ending up badly engorged or suffering from mastitis. Some moms have to go even slower than described above, and decrease the amount of milk they're pumping per session and before completely dropping the session.

I don't know any medications that can help with drying up milk supply- but talk to your doc or midwife! They may know. I do know that sage and peprmint tea are recommended for moms who want to reduce milk supply.

Finally, how old is your baby? If she's still under a year, there's still time to get nursing right and we'd be happy to help you troubleshoot. No pressure, of course!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just a few thoughts. When I was a pumper it made the mastitis worse. The baby is far more efficient at at draining the breast. I also got far more plugged ducts with the pump.

As for weaning, I would do it very slowly. I would cut one feeding every few days that way your body self regulates. So cut one feeding then wait for your body to catch up, then cut another feeding, waiting for your body to catch up again.

I'm also curious as the reason for your weaning. I will say that weaning works much better when the baby is on the same page. That way he/she regulates the amount of milk he/she needs and therefore your risk of plugged ducts and mastitis is much lower.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Both of you recommended dropping one session each time.
    Should I drop one session or should I decrease the time I pump each session?
    Which should come first?
    I am now pumping 4 times each day (every 6 hrs) @ 25-30 min each time.
    The 1 am and 7 am pumping makes me feel so frustrated.

Should I drop one session or should I decrease the time I pump each session?
    Which should come first?
    You can choose either option. If you're really prone to mastitis, I'd decrease the amount of pumping time for a few days before entirely dropping the session. If you're pumping 25-30 minutes, drop down to 20-25, then down to 15-20, etc.. Try to leave some milk in the breast rather than draining it completely.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Or try pushing the pumping session a little later and later each day, but keep the pumping time about the same. Eventually this will result in a dropped session, but it's so gradual, you probably won't ever be uncomfortable. Basically, push the session until you feel like, okay you really need to pump, then pump. Next day, do the same. Never let it get to the point where you are engorged and uncomfortable, but also, let it go as long as possible each day. (I would only do this to one session at a time, though. Slowly but surely, you drop each session.)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Have you tried taking soy lecithin for the plugged ducts? I had mastitis 5X with my son and then started taking them and never got it again.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    Have you tried taking soy lecithin for the plugged ducts? I had mastitis 5X with my son and then started taking them and never got it again.
    Are you taking the nutrition supplement sold in store?
    What is the principle behind its anti-mastitis effect?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zoe.y View Post
    Are you taking the nutrition supplement sold in store?
    What is the principle behind its anti-mastitis effect?
    I took lecithin too. You can get it at a natural foods store. I guess it's an emulsifier, and it may help dissolve and break up clogs.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.