Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night feeding=cavities?

Default night feeding=cavities?

I'd love to hear from other moms on the subject of night feeding and cavities. What is your experience? I want very much to continue night nursing just as long and as much as my daughter wants, but I can't help being paranoid I may be setting her up for cavities later on. I don't know what to believe. I do brush her two little teeth first thing in the morning, midday and right before bed.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: night feeding=cavities?

There is a Sticky about it down lower.....In Breastfeeding older babies. Lemme see.....

Way too lazy for formula

OK. Found it. It's the 2nd sticky down in the section labeled WEANING. And the LLLeader that started it had links and info for you to read but it is an open thread and lots and lots mothers who have been though it weighed in with personal experience. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

I think that the general consensus of the medical studies is that breastfeeding and cavities are not linked. If you Google breastfeeding cavities, you can get a feel for what the literature (NOT the dentists and pediatricians) says.

I nursed my two kids at night. In fact, my three year old still nurses just before sleep every night. And neither one has any cavities. My own personal opinion is that early childhood cavities are the result mainly of genetics and microbial colonization.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thank you!

I nursed my LO at night and she has had cavaties. But I also have always been cavaity prone, so not sure if it's BF at night or genetics!

Our pediatric dentist says he has seen a link between night nursing and cavaties. But I'm thinking the literature says different. He did say that if you do night nurse, you should have a clean cloth and wipe their teeth after. I never really did it to be honest, so I'm not sure how well it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    OK. Found it. It's the 2nd sticky down in the section labeled WEANING. And the LLLeader that started it had links and info for you to read but it is an open thread and lots and lots mothers who have been though it weighed in with personal experience. HTH!
    Not sure where this is exactly. Could you include a link. Sorry to be so dumb, but I didn't see anything about weaning in the boards I can see.
    Oops, nevermind. Saw it after I signed in.