Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE HELP.....

Default PLEASE HELP.....

My LO is 19 months and this is the first time this has happened. I think I have plugged ducts in the outside of my left breast. It is PAINFUL to touch and nurse. It just started hurting late last night. I massaged it when LO nursed it was awful. I am taking some Ibuprophen and some amoxicillian that I have in the house also. What else should I do????? What causes this??? Thanks ladies!
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Default Re: PLEASE HELP.....

Plugged ducts can have various causes, including:
    - a poorly fitted bra
    - a baby who is changing her latch
    - a nipple blister
    - oversupply
    - a mama who is prone to plugs

What you should do:
    - Massage
    - Moist heat
    - Examine nipple skin for a bleb or blister (you might need to pick at the skin overgrowth to clear the pore- don't be afraid to come back and ask for instructions on how to do this)
    - Offer the affected breast first- babies suckle most effectively at the beginning of feedings, when they are hungry
    - ETA: If baby isn't clearing the plug, you may want to pump

While plugged ducts can be painful, you should not treat with antibiotics unless you see some or all of the following symptoms:
    - aches and pains
    - chills
    - fever
    - red patches or streaks on the skin of the breast

At this point, I strongly suggest seeing your doctor or midwife. Unless you have a medical degree you should not self-prescribe antibiotics, for the following reasons:
    - antibiotics may not be the appropriate treatment for your illness
    - if antibiotics are called for, you still may be self-medicating with the wrong antibiotic
    - if the bottle has been lying around the house for a while, the drug may have expired or lost potency
    - if the bottle isn't all the way full, that means that someone in your house stopped a course of antibiotics earlier than they should have, and that's a great way to end up harboring a resistant strain of bacteria that will not respond to antibiotics (think MRSA)
    - if the bottle isn't all the way full, you won't be able to take a full course of the antibiotic yourself, which can leave you with a resistant, difficult-to-treat infection

More on antibiotic resistance from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/index.html
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; May 6th, 2011 at 05:46 AM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks!
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

my whole body aches and I am naseated.......I also have 7 daycare kids today........oh Lord please help!!! I am almost in tears!
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Called my gyno and they are going to get me an Rx. Ibuprophene is helping with the achyness a bit.
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel