Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Less milk on one side??

Question Less milk on one side??

My left breast seems to have very little milk... it feels almost flat n empty compared to the right... I was wondering if there was a way to increase on just one side??? I tried having the LO use the left more but she just gets frustrated

Default Re: Less milk on one side??

It's normal to have production differ between breasts. Sometimes the difference is minimal, other times it's extreme enough to cause noticeable lopsidedness. The way to increase production on the underachieving side is to remove more milk from that side more frequently, either by nursing or, if baby is unwilling to nurse much on that side, by pumping. You might want to start more feedings on the low-output side. Babies generally suckle most enthusiastically at the beginning of a nursing session.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You might want to start more feedings on the low-output side. Babies generally suckle most enthusiastically at the beginning of a nursing session.

This is what i still do to try and even out my milk (because for me, not only do i feel lopsided, i look lopsided!!) So I start every feeding on my left side to that will get totally drained more frequently.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    This is what i still do to try and even out my milk (because for me, not only do i feel lopsided, i look lopsided!!) So I start every feeding on my left side to that will get totally drained more frequently.
    Ditto, but I don't start every feeding on the left because Lillian still gets frustrated, although this isn't as bad as she gets older. I worried a lot about it in the beginning (lefty's only responsible for about 25% of production), but I've pretty much let it go these days. I hear things mostly go back to normal after lactation is over and done with.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10