Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood from nipple?

Default Blood from nipple?

So I'm pumping at 3:30 a.m. this morning after LO has woken for her middle of the night snack (down to one waking a night lately!), thinking about how grateful I am that I have not had really any problems with BF or pumping, then I think, but, hmm, my right nipple is a little "itchy" and I look down to see blood streaming into the bottle. Now, I did not have the flange centered very well and I think it might have been rubbing, thus causing the "itchy" sensation (it was 3:30 a.m.!), and also I have been using a new pump (the Freestyle) at work set at a higher suction lately, and the PIS at home. The nipple was not particularly tender nor did it seem "cracked" and I couldn't really tell if the blood was coming from the outside of the nipple or from the inside. It hurt a little to nurse LO this morning on that side, but I could have been making it up in my head because I was paranoid that it would hurt. My right breast feels a bit warm on the inside but is not swollen or tender. Thoughts? Broken blood vessel? Mastitis? LO is 6 months old.
    Last edited by @llli*lawyer.mama; May 5th, 2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: To add-- she has no teeth yet!

Default Re: Blood from nipple?

I would guess that you have a cracked nipple. This happened to me once with DD. I looked down at what I had pumped and it was red . I called the LC at the clinic and everything and she reassured me that it was probably just a small crack. There was some discomfort for a couple of days (but no more blood) and then everything was OK.

The milk is still OK for baby to drink, too.
    Robin

I'd guess it's either a broken blood vessel, a blister, or a small crack. If you stop seeing blood and are not in pain, it was probably a broken blood vessel- they heal very quickly. If you continue to feel minor amounts of pain and see small amounts of blood, it's probably a blister or small crack.

Based on what you posted there are 2 other options which I think are less likely: mastitis and thrush. If you feel increasing pain and see more blood, pus, or red patches/streaks on the exterior of the breast, and also feel any combination of aches, pains, fever, chills, then it's an infection (mastitis) and you need to do your best to drain the effected side and also probably get a prescription for antibiotics. If you see more blood and feel more pain, including burning or itching sensations, and you develop fine cracks, then it's thrush and you and the baby need an antifungal medication.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for this advice. It is very helpful. So far, no more blood and only a tiny bit of pain when I'm pumping. The warm sensation has gone away.