Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - Baby bit me, now blood in milk

Default Help - Baby bit me, now blood in milk

Hi All -

My son is 10.5 months and has had his 2 bottom teeth for a couple of months now. I haven't had a major issue with biting until this morning, and boy did it hurt...but I remained calm because he kept eating but when he pulled off, he had blood on both sides of his mouth Now I just tried to pump at work, and my nipple started bleeding again. So that milk has gone to waste, but what do I do? I don't want to skip pumping because I've already been battling drop in supply and am expecting AF any day now, which makes my already low supply even lower. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!
    Mom to Gabriel Christian
    Born June 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm
    8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/2 inches long

Default Re: Help - Baby bit me, now blood in milk

You can keep doing what you are doing. It is OK for baby to have the milk with the blood in it. Just make sure you let your nipples dry after you pump or nurse.
    Robin

w/ PP. It is okay, but if it oogs you out, you could always pump and dump. What you do NOT want to do if you can help it is skip pumping sessions. You don't want your supply to drop further.

Also, for your poop nips!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Wink Re: Help - Baby bit me, now blood in milk

When my LO was a week old, we noticed there was blood in his poop, also he started puking blood, we were so scared and rushed to the doctor and is turns out it was my blood... my nipples were THAT sore, so it was no big deal for him, doc said it was normal and it wouldnt harm him. I hope it heals soon!

Thank you all so much for the replies! I'm off to pump again, hopefully it won't be so bad this time!
    Mom to Gabriel Christian
    Born June 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm
    8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/2 inches long

Another option for bloody milk is to let it sit. The blood will settle to the bottom of the bottle, allowing you to pour off the clean milk on the top.

I'd make sure to use a little Bacitracin ointment to redcue the risk of infection. Hope you heal quickly!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"