Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month fussies?

Default 4 month fussies?

my little man turns 4 months friday and lately he's become a spitfire at the breast! like i'm done get me outta here flailing, or NO i don't want to lay here and eat get me UP...both times i can tell he's soo tired but fighting it b/c life is so darn awesome. i've tried getting him to nap other ways to no success
    i'm in need of any input of your experiences at this age? does he calm down again and become my easy nurser?
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

Default Re: 4 month fussies?

Hi!

Distractible babies...so much fun huh? :-) in my experience once babies learn that there's more to life than boobs, they stay distractible. As they get older they may learn how to nurse and look around, but my LO is 7 months old and still likes to look (and show off mommy's boob to anyone around) as soon as she hears a noise :-)

Do you have a sling? I found that nursing in a sling really helped my DD to focus on nursing (and sleeping when necessary). Sometimes I will lay down with her and that helps her fall asleep. I know some mamas will try to nurse in a dark, quiet room to get they're babies to sleep. This might be a good age to try and introduce some consistencies in your nursing routine to give baby cues that it's nursing/nap time. For example: nurse in the same spot, play soft music, sing lullabies, etc. I started a bedtime routine for my LO when she seemed ready (around 6 months old) and it has really helped her to know that when we do our routine, she can expect sleep to follow.

Hope this helps!
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

My DS was a very distractable nurser. Anything would get his attention--made me long for the days when I could watch T.V. while nursing. Mobility added an extra challenge for us because not only would he try to look at whatever got his attention, but he'd want to roll towards it too.

I found nursing in his nursery in a rocker in the dark helped. He got pretty efficient around this time too, so I didn't have to sit in the dark for very long during these nursing sessions. The rocking seemed to help him focus too. As soon as I stopped, he'd stop nursing. I think also at this time was when I really started nursing a lot before naptime. He nursed really well when he was tired. Nursing at naptime is something I continue to do (and really enjoy because it's now some of the only quiet cuddle time I get with my little active man)--DS is now 11 months.

Additionally, wearing a necklace helped with DS's nursing. He'd play with it while he nursed. He still likes to do this.

The distractibilty didn't really go away for my DS; however, he can nurse in other places again which is nice. He does look around, but I think he's learned how to deal with the distractions and still get in a meal, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joey4mom View Post
    Additionally, wearing a necklace helped with DS's nursing. He'd play with it while he nursed. He still likes to do this.

A nursing necklace really helped my little one as well! I highly recommend them!
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!