Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Kind of worried?

Default Kind of worried?

Hi! Well, I'm not exactly sure which forum to put this in because it seems to fit with quite a few so I just chose this one.

So my DS is 9 months old. Recently starting to experiment and taste more solids here and there. He eats probably a small handful of cheerios each time and maybe some other stuff we'll give him from our plates (a bite at least and maybe more if he really wants it). Yeah... we're being a little adventurous yet I'm totally paranoid about him choking on stuff but he hasn't had any reactions to them.

Lately, he hasn't been breastfeeding that much either it seems like. That worries me. He doesn't eat a lot of solids and now it doesn't seem like he wants to breastfeed much either. He's teething (FINALLY) and I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem?

I think I just got a milk blister too (I picked at it. Sorry, I know not the smartest thing but it looks like it's better and it doesn't hurt that much anymore). I just pumped because I was engorged! I haven't felt that way in a LONG time.

HOWEVER, at night he wakes up 2-3 times at night to nurse or comfort nurse. I should be used to it but I'm dead tired... Either way, he's eating way more than he does during the day and I'm losing sleep! We used to co-sleep and I woke up a few times a night to switch sides but I just fell right back to sleep. Ever since he started being more mobile he sleeps in his crib and I get up and nurse him if he needs to so I'm losing sleep. I'm not a great sleeper either. If I nap while he naps, I can't sleep at night. And it tends to take me a long time to fall asleep. It's a miracle that I'm able to function for my family.

One more thing, I tasted my milk because I was curious. I thought it was gross. Alas, I think milk is gross nonetheless but I love soy milk. I barely pumped and it smells.. weird? It's not strong. I'm just wondering if it's still okay to give to my kid tomorrow if I refrigerate it? It's been a while since I've pumped too so I don't remember what it's supposed to smell like.

Sorry. I would just like advice and support. I don't even know if this makes sense. I've got all sorts of issues Thanks for at least reading my post even though it's all over the place!
    Story of my life: > >

Hey! I'm a wife and a first-time mother of a darling baby boy

Default Re: Kind of worried?

I think that you might get more answers about this smelly milk Q in the pumping section. I know a few moms there have dealt with this issue.

I dont have any answers, maybe bringing him back into your bed, or you sleeping in his room so you dont have to get up and go to him in the middle of the night when he wakes.

I am one of the poor sleepers and lack of sleep mommy's so I can feel for you!

Hang in there!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

how about bringing him back to bed with you after the first time he wakes?

usually bm tastes sweet to me? what does it taste like to you? does it smell rotten? There's something called lipase that's an issue with stored milk

Here's a link to more about lipase from kellymom.com

it's actually fine for your baby to drink it and your fresh milk will last up to a week in the refrigerator.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

how old is your lo?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

The just pumped weird smell might be something you ate that day. Mine doesn't really smell like anything when it's just been pumped, but if I leave it in the fridge for longer than about 24 hours it starts to smell odd. I do have excess lipase though.

Can you try cosleeping again?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months