Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling all thrush victims....

Default Re: Calling all thrush victims....

I have been on APNO for weeks. Unfortunately, while it does help tremendously with the pain, it doesn't seem to be curing the thrush by itself. I am now using it in conjunction with the GSE and Diflucan.

Only.woman.in.the.house - what did you use for baby??

The APNO said on my bottle to not let baby ingest, to wipe off before nursing. However Dr. Newman recommended to me the opposite. Eliminating feeding sugars and yeasts for baby (as well as you) is important if your little one is of eating age. Cut any fruit juices if any are given, they are full of processed sugars (or equivilent to) and are empty calories that will only fuel yeast/thrush. Keeping up with pacifier/sippy cup cleanliness if you use either, and we used probiotics. We used Florajen and were happy with it.

IME doctors have been reluctant to prescribe me the appropriate length of time on Diflucan, ofter only a few short days. Unless it is the combined pack it took up to a few weeks to really kick everything out.

How is your little ones latch? It sounds like if you are meeting all of the thrush healing protocalls that perhaps another problem is to blame or at least hindering your healing time. Getting a proper, tightly sealed, deep latch is important also to allow the damaged skin to heal and prevent the yeast from getting back into any open wounds or cuts. Teething can cause a little one who was nursing fine before to change their latch, also lazy night/nap time feedings if your little one and yourself pull away while still attached. Be sure to break the seal with a finger in the corner of your little ones mouth after they have completely finished actively feeding (suck, suck, swallow), never pulling baby off, as this can damage the nipples skin.

How are your injurys doing currently? How old is your little one?
    Last edited by @llli*only.woman.in.the.house; May 5th, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

No WAY. It's Jess. Who are those two GROWN ASS CHILDREN??? OMG!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    No WAY. It's Jess. Who are those two GROWN ASS CHILDREN??? OMG!
    Owen just turned three this past Sunday , Connor will be 5 in August. I'm sure Mr. DJ is as handsome and smart as ever! I pop in and read a little when I can, been trying to stay afloat in the day to day. Been making big progress on my educational goals the last year.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Off to Kindergarten with him! It's so funny. A year made so much of a difference when they were babies. But DJ is off to Kindergarten this year with all these kids that are younger! My cousins kids were Born in Sept and they are starting this year too. So even though he is 9months older they go together because he misses the cut off date.
    Oh wait. You may homeschool. But if you don't/didn't Off to Kindergarten! Nice to see you!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Off to Kindergarten with him! It's so funny. A year made so much of a difference when they were babies. But DJ is off to Kindergarten this year with all these kids that are younger! My cousins kids were Born in Sept and they are starting this year too. So even though he is 9months older they go together because he misses the cut off date.
    Oh wait. You may homeschool. But if you don't/didn't Off to Kindergarten! Nice to see you!
    Connor loved pre-K this last year and really excelled. He is nervous about going to a new school next year for K.

Sorry if this is a repeat as I don't have time to read all the posts.

1) treat both of you even if baby shows no signs

2)in my opion (and I am not a doctor) nystatin doesn't work.

3)the only thing that got rid of it for me was gentian violet. I put some on my nipple and then fed my daughter. If I thought her mouth wasn't coated then I would use a q-tip to finish the job and possible reaply to my nipple. This stains like crazy so where old cloths you don't care about and put some olive oil on babys face to prevent a blue baby

4) wash everything that may have come into contact with your breasts, babys mouth or milk with hot water and grapefruitseed extract or vinegar. Thrush can live on things and reactivate later.

5) if you are expressing milk you can feed it within a few days but don't freeze and save it as freezing doesn't kill the thrush

ok hope that helps. I fought thrush for weeks so I feel your pain!! Good work with the BF!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Well, it is day 2. I am on difucan (200mg/day). I am also using GSE and APNO after each feeding. I am taking probiotics and giving the LO probiotics as well. I got an Rx for Nystatin for the LO, but everything I am reading is that it doesn't help, so I sticking with probiotics for now. I am not seeing any improvement yet. Multiple IBCLCs have told me that the latch is fine and he doesn't have tongue tie. So....if this is indeed thrush, will these horrible wounds heal on their own?? If so, about how long does it take to see some sort of improvement?

By the way, my LO is 9 weeks old.

Congratulations on making it to 9 weeks of breastfeeding your little one! That is fantatstic. Your nipple will heal in time. Stick with it mama and keep us updated. If your little one is latching well and doing all you can stick with it. Give the Diflucan some time to work. Lots of air time for your breasts right now, try not to wear a bra if you don't have to.

GSE was too drying for me, some strains of thrush are proving to be resistant to GV though it seems to be worth a shot to try it. I remember having purple nipples for a while!

Ifound using q-tips to be the easiest way to get the nystatin to cover the inside of the mouth, however, Nystatin did nothing for us either.

Fungus cant grow in an acidic environment so the vinegar does work topically but if it is in the breast tissue you need the Diflucan.

I found an article that said to take a probiotic, echinechea & garlic in addition to the Diflucan. It seems to have helped.