Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all thrush victims....

Default Calling all thrush victims....

OK, so I saw yet another IBCLC today and she said I have thrush. I have huge craters (missing skin) on both nipples which she referred to as "stage 3 wounds" and she believes it is the thrush which is causing the horrible degradation in the skin. I was put on diflucan (400mg loading and then 200mg/day every other day) and baby on nystatin (1 ml in each cheek for 1 week). I just tried to give the LO the nystatin and he made a face and spit it all out.

Neither of us are really showing any obvious symptoms of thrush, so how do I know if this is really the problem and how will I know when it is actually cleared up? Also, how do I get my baby to keep the medicine in his mouth? We don't use a pacifier. Anyone out there had a similar experience with the nipple degradation and thrush?

Default Re: Calling all thrush victims....

I was just given the same diagnosis today and was told to use the gentian violet. My Dr said on Monday he thought she might have it, but gave me no indication as to what to do about it. I picked up the gentian violet today but haven't used it yet. My one nipple made the LC swear. She told me I would know things were getting better when my nipple skin looked more like skin and less white and flakey. Sorry couldn't be more help.

Tara

Tara - does the baby have any symptoms? My LO is not showing any of the symptoms (he does not have any white in his mouth, isn't pulling away from the breast, is gaining a ton of weight, etc). Also, my nipples have never been dry and flaky or bloody and scabby....they are craters with raw skin underneath. The skin is a little white around the wound, but I am not sure this is a sign of thrush? My LC also mentioned gentian violet and I also read good things about grapefruit seed extract. Let me know how it goes. I guess I will wait and see if the skin begins to grow back....I sure hope so!!

Thanks for your response and good luck to you!!

Hi there, yes she does.. She's not gaining weight, has a few white bumps in her mouth and is fussy at the breast, although I believe that to be due to me loosing my supply. My nipples don't look overly white and flakey to me either, more like chewed meat, but the LC said I would notice a difference hopefully by day 4. My sore is huge as well, not an easy thing to nurse around at all, so for now am putting her on the 'good' side and pumping. Good luck to you!

Tara

I don't have any real advice for you, but I can say I got the craters before any of the symptoms so I totally encourage treating yourself with the diflucan before it gets worse! I waited to call my OB until it was hurting and really could have saved myself the struggle.

I'll also say the vinegar and warm water are nice too, if you get to the point you feel any pain when your LO is latching (just follow it up with nipple butter or something because this mixture really dries your skin up!)
    My LO didn't (and doesn't) have any symptoms and they gave us a prescription for nystatin but told us not to use it unless he got the blisters. But now I'm starting to think I should have filled it and treated him because my thrush will go away and come back after a week or a few days of feeling ok so maybe he does have it or something..

As for the getting the medicine down? My Ped told me to do it right before feeding (and when he's super hungry) and get a nipple in his mouth real fast. He'll spit some out but the main thing is that it coats his mouth, so getting him on the breast right after should help. He'll still spit a lot of it out though. Also nystatin on your nipples might help!

Good luck! Hope you get it all sorted out!

And to Tara- I really hope you and your LO feel better soon! That sounds awful!
    Last edited by @llli*rooney; May 4th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Mommy to Eddie (2/22/11)

We started at 4.9lbs and now are at 16.5lbs! With lots of love, breast feeding and a little help from formula he's catching up fast!

Have you read these postings from Dr Newman?

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Fluconozale.asp
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp

He specifically says:

"I have not found nystatin to be particularly useful either in treatment of the baby’s mouth or in the treatment of the mother’s nipples."

Instead, he suggests giving baby a small amount of probiotics. I would much prefer to give my LO the probiotics over the Nystatin, but everything I have read and heard is that BOTH mother and baby need to be treated even if one or neither are showing the symptoms. So right now, I am on the diflucan and using the grapefruit seed extract (topical). I may start the LO on the probiotics tomorrow and see how that goes. I will keep you posted!

rooney - everything I have read and been told is NOT to feed after giving nystatin for 2 reasons 1) it washes the med out of the mouth and 2) it is loaded up with sugar which contributes to yeast and therefore, should not be put on the nipple

I am so confused. Everyone says something different! Have you had luck with getting rid of the thrush or is it still off and on?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nicki5780 View Post
    OK, so I saw yet another IBCLC today and she said I have thrush. I have huge craters (missing skin) on both nipples which she referred to as "stage 3 wounds" and she believes it is the thrush which is causing the horrible degradation in the skin. I was put on diflucan (400mg loading and then 200mg/day every other day) and baby on nystatin (1 ml in each cheek for 1 week). I just tried to give the LO the nystatin and he made a face and spit it all out.

Neither of us are really showing any obvious symptoms of thrush, so how do I know if this is really the problem and how will I know when it is actually cleared up? Also, how do I get my baby to keep the medicine in his mouth? We don't use a pacifier. Anyone out there had a similar experience with the nipple degradation and thrush?
    GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT, that's what you need to kill the thrush.

Really? Yeah I dunno. As I said, haven't done the stuff for my LOs mouth. Just my nipples. And I tried Probiotics first before finding the vinegar. Thrush isn't a battle, its a war. Lol I might try the Probiotics again since I'm way more comfortable with that, maybe that with the antibiotic would work. Bleh.

Sorry, I feel dumb. Whoops.

This is my second round. This time both of my nipples are gnarly looking. It sucks. Lol if I wasn't in an apartment I'd totally try sun drying them!

Eh. If you find something that works, please share!

(Oh and I got prescribed nystatin cream for my nipples? So more confused?)
    Last edited by @llli*rooney; May 4th, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
    Mommy to Eddie (2/22/11)

We started at 4.9lbs and now are at 16.5lbs! With lots of love, breast feeding and a little help from formula he's catching up fast!

I have battled thrush many times and the only thing that worked for my super persistent and skin damaging episodes was Dr. Newman's APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) compound. You can find his contact info on the links listed above and he will likely let you know the formula which can be discussed with and written by your pediatrician, OBGYN, or family doctor. Dr. Newman is in Canada so unless you live there he cannot write anything for you.

Thrush is a fungus, not a bacteria, so an antifungal rather than an antibiotic is needed.

Be sure you are washing your bras and cami's in hot water, changing them often. Letting your nipples get plenty of air time, and loweing other yeast feeding foods like processed flours and sugars. Nystatin did nothing for us and the sugar in it only made things worse.

What I tried to clear up for months on my own was soothed cured in three days with Dr. Newman's compound.

Good luck to you!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin