Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drying up?? Help!

Default Drying up?? Help!

I'm terribly afraid of what could be happening. My LO is 3 months old and we have not had any glitches in BF until a few days ago. I'm so distraught that I'm holding back tears as I type. DS has been been eating, but it has been more sporadic & for much shorter intervals, often crying inbetween latches (he unlatches every 30 seconds or so) He has done this before, so that in itself does not alarm me. I have been unable to pump for nearly a week. I live in Alabama, so we were without power for a few days, but when I fired the pump back up there was no milk. We suspect DS is also teething. I have had a horrible UTI and was put on antibiotics yesterday.

I don't live in a very big town at all, so I can't even think of anywhere that sells Fenugreek or the Mother's Milk Tea (unless they sell it at Walmart) and oatmeal creates super gas for me and the milk.

Breastfeeding my son has been one of the things that most reassures me I'm a good mommy. I'm completely heartbroken that this could be the end
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Default Re: Drying up?? Help!

Often supply goes down when you get sick, but it's nothing permanent. I'm sorry you're sick, and I hope you feel better soon!

So this is not the end! Three months is a normal time for a growth spurt, do you think your baby might just have gotten everything before you went to pump?

Anyway, you don't need a pump - take that baby to bed and just nurse nurse nurse. Milk supply is a supply and demand thing - it can go down, but it can also go up. Oatmeal, fenugreek, and Mother's Milk tea are nice, and they can help, but NOTHING works like just nursing more. Whenever you are in doubt, that is the first thing to do. Wear your baby on your body, offer frequently, sleep next to your baby, take him in the bath - whatever it takes to get him nursing a bit more.

I bet you'll be back to normal in no time, mama.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

He just ate pretty well; about 15 minutes total & not much fussing or unlatching. If it is a growth spurt, what kinds of changes can I look for in him?

I'm trying to keep the faith; I feel like BF is the only thing I can't really screw up being a first time mom.
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Here is a link with a few details on growth spurts:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

If you still want to try Mother's Milk Tea, I have found it at several Targets, and not just natural food stores.

I hope you get through this stage quickly. I know how stressful it can be.

I found fenugreek at Wal-Mart! It is in the supplements section. I originally looked by the prenatal vitamins, but they are not there. They should be in alphabetical order. If you can't find it ask the pharmacist for some help...I live in a very small town also and was very happy to find it.