Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: sudden weaning for medical reasons

Default Re: sudden weaning for medical reasons

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I'm not so sure about this. I think one of the recommendations to increase milk production is to nurse or pump at night. If she's sleeping through the night, you could probably get a dream feed into her when you go to bed (assuming you go to bed after she does) and she may not even wake up. It would possibly be another way to get more calories into her.

Have you tried nursing her more often during the day and does she simply refuse?
    my DD3 was STTN at an early age, but I had to wake her at night to make sure she got enough calories. The night time milk, where she would nurse uninterrupted and fully, helped her climb from under 3% to over 10% in weight.

Also, some children will never eat larger amounts at one time and snacking through the day is how they eat. Like I could never get my oldest to eat breakfast. Her whole life. Only recently she makes breakfast and eats it in class at around 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I'm not so sure about this. I think one of the recommendations to increase milk production is to nurse or pump at night. If she's sleeping through the night, you could probably get a dream feed into her when you go to bed (assuming you go to bed after she does) and she may not even wake up. It would possibly be another way to get more calories into her.

Have you tried nursing her more often during the day and does she simply refuse?
    i 100% agree with this. I noticed a big dip in supply when my DS started sleeping for 6 or more hours, and i would get up in the middle of the night to just feed him. he would barely wake up, i would barely wake up and it helped my supply tremendously -- in honestly, it was one of his (and still is actually at 16 months) one of his best nurses of the day. We're both relaxed and he just latches on and stays there. If you're not cosleeping, just get a comfy little place set up in baby's room and laydown with your LO.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    he would barely wake up, i would barely wake up and it helped my supply tremendously -- in honestly, it was one of his (and still is actually at 16 months) one of his best nurses of the day. We're both relaxed and he just latches on and stays there. If you're not cosleeping, just get a comfy little place set up in baby's room and laydown with your LO.
    this exactly. also I hate to say this, but there is no one-size-fits-all feeding/eating pattern for people. Some people are supposed to be snackers, others eat big meals. But in general, biologically speaking, humans are hunter-gathers. The gatherer part means snacking. The hunter part meals. So it would seem a combination would be "normal"
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.