Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sudden weaning for medical reasons

Default Re: sudden weaning for medical reasons

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cricket.mom View Post
    Double cream cups are out until I can get her to drink from a bottle or cup.
    What about double cream popsicles? Or breastmilk popsicles in general?

What do you mix in her oatmeal? If she eats that or any other cereal could you make it with the double cream milk instead of water?

oh! or the avocado chocolate pudding! Recipe
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post

And this sounds sort of ridiculous, but when Max was sick and we were just trying to keep him hydrated and he wasn't drinking enough out of bottles and sippy cups, my father took a plain old water bottle, emptied it and put the cap back on and then drilled a tiny hole in the top. Then he made a game out of squirting in in his mouth. Not and ideal way to learn to drink from a cup, but if you're looking to get more milk/cream/calories in her, may be another idea.
    Both my kids learned how to drink out of those water bottles with the sports pop top before out of a sippy.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Nora never did use a sippy, she only liked grown up cups from the time she was about 8 mos old. But it'd be hard to watch your LO spill breast milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Honestly, Wyatt still has trouble with sippy cups, at 3 years 3 months, even though he's been using a regular cup for at least 2 years now.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

You guys are amazing. I love all the food suggestions, thank you. I will try them all.

As for cups, she will take a very small amount from grown up cups, about 1 oz usually, and spits some out even then. Haven't tried water bottles, why did I not think of that? Sippys (with and without valves) and straw cups and bottles just get chewed. She hates it when I help her, and either has to have me hold it and do it for her entirely or she has to do it all herself. I will get a water bottle and try that today.

Thanks so much.

Have you spoken with an occupational therapist or someone who might help with behavioral issues? I don't have any experience with it whatsoever, but is it possible your LO has an aversion to food? Like a sensory/texture kind of issue? I know there is a mama here who's dealing with that in her son.

Just a thought.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cricket.mom View Post
    You guys are amazing. I love all the food suggestions, thank you. I will try them all.

As for cups, she will take a very small amount from grown up cups, about 1 oz usually, and spits some out even then. Haven't tried water bottles, why did I not think of that? Sippys (with and without valves) and straw cups and bottles just get chewed. She hates it when I help her, and either has to have me hold it and do it for her entirely or she has to do it all herself. I will get a water bottle and try that today.

Thanks so much.
    Max even knows how to squirt in in his own mouth now, as long as you keep the hole on top small, it's pretty easy, just get the flexy plastic (again, not ideal ) - i'm think the shape of the orange soda bottles (crush i think) that are like a cone at the top. then they just squeeze it in a tilt their head back! pretty cute, actually.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

If she'll eat rice, how about making the rice with coconut milk? Nice fatty coconut milk, not the "lite" kind...

Here's a recipe-
    Ingredients:
    •2 cups white rice (Thai jasmine rice is best)
    •2 cups good-quality coconut milk
    •1 3/4 cups water
    •2 heaping Tbsp. dry shredded unsweetened coconut (baking type)
    •1/2 tsp. salt
    •1/2 tsp. coconut oil, OR vegetable oil
    •Optional: 1-2 Tbsp. toasted coconut for garnish
    Preparation:
    1.Rub oil over the bottom of a deep-sided pot. You will also need a tight-fitting lid.
    2.Place rice, coconut milk, water, shredded coconut, and salt in the pot and set over medium-high to high heat. Stir occasionally to keep rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.
    3.Once the coconut-water has begun to gently bubble, stop stirring and reduce heat to low (just above minimum). Cover tightly with a lid and let simmer 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. To check, pull rice aside with a fork. If most of the coconut milk-water is gone, go on to the next step.
    4.Replace the lid and turn off the heat, but leave the covered pot on the burner to steam another 5-10 minutes, or until you're ready to eat. Tip: Your Coconut Rice will stay warm this way for up to 1 hour or more, great for when you're expecting company!
    5.When ready to serve, remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork or chopsticks. Taste-test the rice for salt, adding a little more if needed. Serve right out of the pot, or transfer to a serving bowl. This rice is excellent served with a variety of both Thai and Indian dishes, such as curries or seafood recipes. If desired, top your rice with a sprinkling of toasted coconut and ENJOY!

ETA: I'm glad you decided not to wean. As you said, a loss of 1 oz when a baby is sick and teething is not a big deal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If she'll eat rice, how about making the rice with coconut milk? Nice fatty coconut milk, not the "lite" kind...

Here's a recipe-
    Ingredients:
    •2 cups white rice (Thai jasmine rice is best)
    •2 cups good-quality coconut milk
    •1 3/4 cups water
    •2 heaping Tbsp. dry shredded unsweetened coconut (baking type)
    •1/2 tsp. salt
    •1/2 tsp. coconut oil, OR vegetable oil
    •Optional: 1-2 Tbsp. toasted coconut for garnish
    Preparation:
    1.Rub oil over the bottom of a deep-sided pot. You will also need a tight-fitting lid.
    2.Place rice, coconut milk, water, shredded coconut, and salt in the pot and set over medium-high to high heat. Stir occasionally to keep rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.
    3.Once the coconut-water has begun to gently bubble, stop stirring and reduce heat to low (just above minimum). Cover tightly with a lid and let simmer 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. To check, pull rice aside with a fork. If most of the coconut milk-water is gone, go on to the next step.
    4.Replace the lid and turn off the heat, but leave the covered pot on the burner to steam another 5-10 minutes, or until you're ready to eat. Tip: Your Coconut Rice will stay warm this way for up to 1 hour or more, great for when you're expecting company!
    5.When ready to serve, remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork or chopsticks. Taste-test the rice for salt, adding a little more if needed. Serve right out of the pot, or transfer to a serving bowl. This rice is excellent served with a variety of both Thai and Indian dishes, such as curries or seafood recipes. If desired, top your rice with a sprinkling of toasted coconut and ENJOY!

ETA: I'm glad you decided not to wean. As you said, a loss of 1 oz when a baby is sick and teething is not a big deal.
    We did this with XBF who had crohns and needed to put on weight. Totallyw orked.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Wow, what a stressful situation! I don't have a lot to add, but I was wondering if you've found whole yogurt... I know YoBaby is whole, but everything else I've been able to find is lowfat or nonfat (my 13 year old has calorie issues too! And she doesn't like YoBaby).

Could you add heavy cream to the oatmeal? Mac and cheese made with heavy cream has become a staple around here.

In case you should change your mind about the ice cream... Haagen-Dazs and Ben and Jerry's have nearly twice as many calories as other kinds.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--