Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sudden weaning for medical reasons

Default Re: sudden weaning for medical reasons

norasmommy - Thanks, yes she does eat finger foods (she won't eat anything else apart from oatmeal and yogurt, she detests spoons now that she can do things herself). She'll eat cheese, but not bread/toast or avocado or anything with peanut butter. I'm continuing to try to get her to eat guacamole and peanut butter. She doesn't have any allergies. Double cream cups are out until I can get her to drink from a bottle or cup.

Here are the foods I can usually count on her eating:
    fruit - especially bananas, mandarin oranges, canned pears
    cheerios
    yogurt
    cheese
    oatmeal
    rice

sometimes she'll eat:
    vegetables cooked with butter - especially broccoli, peas, green beans
    beans - most kinds, especially things liked baked beans or pork & beans
    meat - bologna, chicken
    potatoes/sweet potatoes
    pasta

Anybody have ideas for ways to add calories to these things or combine them into something new? She's so picky right now and on top of it she gets bored of things pretty quick and won't eat them again for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    :It just took finding wat he will eat and for US that means eating tacos and spaghetti (w/ hidden ingredients in the sauces and meat ) at least once or twice a week.
    What sort of things did you add to the tacos & spaghetti? And any tips on making tacos edible for a 12 mo old with 4 teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    In terms of getting more fats into your daughter, my son loves to drink heavy cream (whipping cream), and happily eats pieces of butter a la carte. Would your daughter eat pieces of very soft pot roast? I imagine (again, no medical training) that more important than straight calories (like in oatmeal or other cereals/breads), you would get more mileage from very nutrient dense foods like meats, organ meats, eggs, dried fruit, dark green veggies with butter, etc. And I can't recall, are you giving her a good multivitamin?
    The denser the food the better, but only because she doesn't take in much volume. If she'll eat more of a food because she likes it, the only thing that matters is how many calories it has (for now). She does eat eggs, forgot to add that to the list. I could put cheese in the eggs now that I think of it. Heavy cream is out till she drinks from a cup, and she won't eat bread, or beef at the moment. But I could try dried fruit, she'd probably like that.

Any recommendations on multivitamins? I haven't been giving her one and they told me to start.

What about smooshing up some avocado and mixing it into the yogurt? You could also pump milk, skim the cream off and mix it into the yogurt.

I can't remember if you said - if you offer to nurse more often, will she nurse?

My daughter was much like that with food at a year, but she would nurse 12 or so times a day on the days she was with me.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Adding butter to anything would give it more oomph. You could add butter and cream to oatmeal. You could also add ground flax seeds for some extra protein.

Butter and cheese on pasta.

My daughter would eat soft tacos at that age, rolled up tight and not too stuffed full. It would make a huge mess, but she'd get a lot of it in her mouth too.

Black beans and rice? Topped with cheese and sour cream if she'll eat it.

You can hide spinach in taco meat or spaghetti sauce (I do it all the time). You can add cream cheese or alfredo sauce to tomato sauce to boost its calories.

Top noodles with chili and cheese or mix cream cheese with the chili to make a creamy topping for noodles or to wrap in a tortilla.

My son loves roasted veggies- broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potatos tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper then roasted on a cookie sheet. You could probably toss them with melted butter too. They are surprisingly sweet when roasted.

My son has had weight gain problems as well so I have a lot of experience adding calories and nutrients to his food, I just can't use dairy (and a lot of other foods) with him so it's actually kind of fun for me to come up with this stuff. You might also ask the doctors if there is a powdered supplement you can add to his foods to increase the caloric content and nutrition.

Oh, there is a recipe somewhere here for chocolate pudding made with avocado that looks delicious. Here's a version, not sure if it's the same one I saw here. You could sub agave for the honey.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cricket.mom View Post
    What sort of things did you add to the tacos & spaghetti? And any tips on making tacos edible for a 12 mo old with 4 teeth?
    First we add olive oil to EVERYTHING. I've even just dripped it on top of his food right before he eats it. For sauces we puree stuff like avacado, spinach, carrots, zucchini, (for us we needed to add iron rich foods too), add heavy cream, real unsalted butter. In the taco meat we usually puree kidney or black beans or chick peas and mix it together. He has never noticed Also LOVES to dip stuff. My dh makes him a dip for just about every meal usually with a cream cheese base and then add pureed veggies, artichokes, spinach, sweet potatoes etc. We also try and make food LOOK like he wants it too. We cut things into "dip-able" pieces and add cheese to EVERYTHING because he is obsessed with shredded cheese.

Picky eaters are definitely stressful. I totally understand mama. It took us some time to find out what works for our son and we still work on it everyday. I also totally understand how it feels when docs are giving you time frames for improvement and the stress that comes with not knowing how to fix the problem. I was never encouraged to wean but I was under the gun to increase my sons iron count or he'd suffer a litany of tests and weekly blood draws and possible hospitalization. I was so stressed. Hang in there. keep coming here and keep asking for support. We can brainstorm with you as much as you want.
    Oh and i'm so glad you decided not to wean just yet.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Another thing I just remembered that was always a hit was pancakes. I made them with double (or sometimes more) the eggs, and I added in finely shredded frozen spinach and flax seed meal, sometimes protein powder or blueberries or mashed banana. You can throw a lot of things into pancakes. They are delicious with butter and a little bit of sweetener on top (with powdered sugar, you can get away with the least sweetener, because the kids can see it all over without drowning the pancakes in it).
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Totally forgot about flax seed meal. You can put it in everything!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Totally forgot about flax seed meal. You can put it in everything!
    We use it a lot. We have the whole seeds and toss them in stir fry, pasta, pretty much anything.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cricket.mom View Post
    The denser the food the better, but only because she doesn't take in much volume. If she'll eat more of a food because she likes it, the only thing that matters is how many calories it has (for now). She does eat eggs, forgot to add that to the list. I could put cheese in the eggs now that I think of it. Heavy cream is out till she drinks from a cup, and she won't eat bread, or beef at the moment. But I could try dried fruit, she'd probably like that.

Any recommendations on multivitamins? I haven't been giving her one and they told me to start.

You could add heavy cream to egg scrambles with the cheese.

i can't remember if you said this already - i know she wont drink from sippy cups/bottles ATM, but have you tried letting her drink from a plain 'adult' cup?

And this sounds sort of ridiculous, but when Max was sick and we were just trying to keep him hydrated and he wasn't drinking enough out of bottles and sippy cups, my father took a plain old water bottle, emptied it and put the cap back on and then drilled a tiny hole in the top. Then he made a game out of squirting in in his mouth. Not and ideal way to learn to drink from a cup, but if you're looking to get more milk/cream/calories in her, may be another idea.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it