Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sudden weaning for medical reasons

Default Re: sudden weaning for medical reasons

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cricket.mom View Post

Anyone have any brilliant ideas for bottle/cup/sippy/straw drinking? I think I must have tried every kind of bottle and cup ever made...
    I can't remember if she eats banana or not, but when I was trying to get my son (abour 5 months at the time) to take a bottle, I would mush up some banana and put it on the tip of the bottle with the fast flow nipples. He like banana, so he would put the bottle to his mouth because of the banana, I would tip it up for him, then kinda squeeze the bm out of the bottle and he would realize that there was good stuff in the bottle and continue to suck. Any way you could work a version of this with a sippy cup?

Does she like to dip her food? What about a smoothie? You could make it with cream, yogurt, fruit, a bit of juice, a bit of ice and anything else you want to add (coconut milk or oil, ice cream, flaxseed), then just blend. Maybe instead of presenting it in a sippy cup, give it to her to dip some of her foods in (sorry, I can't remember what she does eat that she could dip in it ) Or instead of letting her use the hated spoon, give her something like a popsicle stick that she can dip in it, and then lick/suck it from or just let her use her fingers.

Goodluck mama. And for what its worth, even if you do chose to wean, it may not effect her "decision" to drink from a cup/bottle/sippy. Even with the banana trick I mentioned above, my ds2 never really ever took bottles. I worked 7 hours a day and he never really took a bottle. It just was not going to happen even though the breast was not an option.

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Wow, what a stressful situation! I don't have a lot to add, but I was wondering if you've found whole yogurt... I know YoBaby is whole, but everything else I've been able to find is lowfat or nonfat (my 13 year old has calorie issues too! And she doesn't like YoBaby).
    A lot of the organic brands offer whole milk yogurt, some are homogenized, others have the cream on top.

Stonyfield
    Brown Cow
    Nancy's
    Horizon
    greek yogurts generally have a full fat option

Check at health food stores!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

What about making your own ice cream, so you can control the sugar? I feel like there was a recipe around here for making it in ziploc baggies!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    What about making your own ice cream, so you can control the sugar? I feel like there was a recipe around here for making it in ziploc baggies!
    In the Iron Chef Ice Cream thread!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Ditto the Mac & Cheese idea. I make some for DD and DP. They love it. You could use heavy cream and full fat sour cream. They say this is one of the best recipes they've had. You could also use just the egg yolks and add a few extras to this recipe. I don't cook it in the crockpot. I use whole wheat noodles and cook them all the way. I just pour it in a greased casserole dish and top with cheese. I bake it on 350ish for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden. Girl, you *KNOW* if it's a Paula Deen recipe it's fatty!

I think I just gained 15 pounds reading this thread! I hope your LO gains a bunch too!

ETA: I was thinking about the doctors saying your baby shouldn't graze all day and should eat three meals and two snacks. Don't they tell us as adults it's better to eat tiny meals all day and graze? And when we are dieting, don't they tell us that we should not eat before we sleep because the calories will just sit in your stomach and you can't burn them off as effectively? So, wouldn't it make sense that nursing your LO at night would be a good idea? A high calorie food sitting there? In regard to the night-time vs. daytime eating thing, I have always been told it's the grand sum of the full 24 hours that matters most - not the day vs. the night. I dunno. Just some random thoughts I had about food and weight gain/loss.
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; May 4th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.

Christine

Thanks everybody for the recipes! I've got a lot on my to-do list now.

yoginimama - Yep, if you're trying to lose weight grazing is the way to go, so obviously not a good choice for my daughter. It boosts metabolism and sates appetite before you get hungry enough to eat a lot. As for eating at night, I don't think interrupting her sleep throughout the night to feed her will help her overall health (not to mention mine).

Thanks everybody for the recipes! I've got a lot on my to-do list now.

yoginimama - Yep, if you're trying to lose weight grazing is the way to go, so obviously not a good choice for my daughter. It boosts metabolism and sates appetite before you get hungry enough to eat a lot. As for eating at night, I don't think interrupting her sleep throughout the night to feed her will help her overall health (not to mention mine).
    Oh! Sorry. I missed she was STTN. Let the babe and mama sleep! Ah! The metabolism boost thing makes sense.

KUP, mama!

Christine

As for eating at night, I don't think interrupting her sleep throughout the night to feed her will help her overall health (not to mention mine).
    I'm not so sure about this. I think one of the recommendations to increase milk production is to nurse or pump at night. If she's sleeping through the night, you could probably get a dream feed into her when you go to bed (assuming you go to bed after she does) and she may not even wake up. It would possibly be another way to get more calories into her.

Have you tried nursing her more often during the day and does she simply refuse?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I'm not so sure about this. I think one of the recommendations to increase milk production is to nurse or pump at night. If she's sleeping through the night, you could probably get a dream feed into her when you go to bed (assuming you go to bed after she does) and she may not even wake up. It would possibly be another way to get more calories into her.

Have you tried nursing her more often during the day and does she simply refuse?
    i 100% agree with this. I noticed a big dip in supply when my DS started sleeping for 6 or more hours, and i would get up in the middle of the night to just feed him. he would barely wake up, i would barely wake up and it helped my supply tremendously -- in honestly, it was one of his (and still is actually at 16 months) one of his best nurses of the day. We're both relaxed and he just latches on and stays there. If you're not cosleeping, just get a comfy little place set up in baby's room and laydown with your LO.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    he would barely wake up, i would barely wake up and it helped my supply tremendously -- in honestly, it was one of his (and still is actually at 16 months) one of his best nurses of the day. We're both relaxed and he just latches on and stays there. If you're not cosleeping, just get a comfy little place set up in baby's room and laydown with your LO.
    this exactly. also I hate to say this, but there is no one-size-fits-all feeding/eating pattern for people. Some people are supposed to be snackers, others eat big meals. But in general, biologically speaking, humans are hunter-gathers. The gatherer part means snacking. The hunter part meals. So it would seem a combination would be "normal"
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.