Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sudden weaning for medical reasons

Default Re: sudden weaning for medical reasons

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    (and I have yet to meet a kid that wouldn't prefer ice cream to the vast majority of other foods - to harken back to duckpond's link)
    I gave my 1 year-old ice cream last night and she was practically pounding on the high chair tray trying to get me to give her more. Ice cream is a lot like breastmilk, too- fatty and sweet!- so maybe your LO would enjoy it?

Mama, I know we're all pushing you in the "don't wean" direction- but I think that's because we're all a bit over why a breastfed 1 year-old wouldn't be gaining. I mean, we've all had 1 year-olds and they often eat very little solid food, drink a lot of breastmilk, and yet do just fine. Has your doc explored other possibilities for the FTT aside from low caloric intake? I know some mamas have discovered issues with growth hormone deficiency or allergies that impact their kids' weight- maybe that's an avenue to pursue as well?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I gave my 1 year-old ice cream last night and she was practically pounding on the high chair tray trying to get me to give her more. Ice cream is a lot like breastmilk, too- fatty and sweet!- so maybe your LO would enjoy it?
    Starting at 12 months my ds didn't gain a single ounce for months. Someone here told me to try ice ceam and I was shocked because it's "junk food" and never considered giving it to my baby and then I looked into it and saw that it could really help us. I gave my DS a small bowl of it each night after dinner and of coarse he loved it. He started gaining again. I don't know if it was the ice cream (I was also doing double cream sippy cups) but I do know that it coincided with it. And like someone else mentioned, I'm wondering if something else isn't going on for your LO. We discovered for us that my DS was anemic which made him tired alot which in turn decreased his appetite. Have your docs been looking into allergies or growth hormone possabilites?

Many hugs to you mama. I hope you find a solution and get some peace of mind.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I Was told to wean because my dd had low iron and we just kept nursing...

Hang in there...

Thanks again to all of you for your support. There is no medical reason for her to be losing weight apart from low calorie intake. I have done food diaries complete with weighed feedings, and she just is not getting enough into her.

As for ice cream, I'm a bit concerned about starting on that, because I know several people who went that route and now cannot get their children to eat anything else even though they are much older. Kids are smart, and when they know that you want them to eat and are willing to feed them ice cream to fatten them up, it becomes a problem.

She is not waking to eat at night, which is a good thing because that can suppress appetite during the day. They don't want me to feed her more frequently than 3 regular meals and 2 snacks, because grazing can cause kids to eat less overall.

All of that said, having slept on it I don't think I want to wean her. She is teething and has an ear infection, and I don't think a weight drop of one ounce in two weeks for a child who is ill and teething should prompt as radical a change as weaning. Also, I don't think cutting out breastfeeding is going to teach her to drink from a cup the way they say it will - she already has a strong interest in drinking from a cup and hasn't figured it out. I would bet the kids who this works for are uninterested in the cup as long as they have the breast. Also, if the main goal is to get her to drink from a cup so I can pump pediasmart into her, then why the heck is the first step weaning instead of finding a way to work me into the speech pathologist's schedule earlier?

So that means I have to come up with my own plan for fattening her up that doesn't involve weaning, and pray it works in the next two weeks before her next appointment. I can add butter and canola oil to her food, except she doesn't let me go near her mouth with a spoon unless it's oatmeal (which I'm already making with whole milk) or yogurt, which is pretty limiting. I can coat her veggies in butter, but should I mix sugar with her fruit (she finger feeds things like canned pears or mandarin oranges)? And what else could I be doing?

Thanks again everybody.

Does she eat other finger foods? I might try offering things like slices of cheese, pieces of avocado (high in healthy fats), strips of toast with real butter or peanut butter (assuming no allergies), apple slices with peanut butter on them, things like that.

And again the double cream sippy might be a good thing to try if you can find time to pump.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

A note about weighed feedings and my doctors:

Yes, I know the issues with weighed feedings, but that article is talking about healthy newborns who are gaining weight, not older babies who are failing to gain weight. Also, I was doing weighed feedings every single feeding for many days and found that she was indeed not getting enough milk per day, not just weighing her once and assuming she wasn't getting enough because of one small feeding.

I do appreciate everyone's help, and I know you're all trying to help me continue to breastfeed. I want to assure you that my doctors are correct that my daughter does have a problem, and we have had many, many medical tests (including several radiology barium studies) that prove that the only thing that is wrong is her calorie intake. The best way I can continue to breastfeed is to find a way to increase her calorie intake soon. I want to continue to breastfeed, but mostly I want my daughter to be healthy. If the only way I can get her to gain weight is to wean her in hopes that she will drink from a cup, then I suppose I'll have to do it, but I'd rather try a different way first.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Does she eat other finger foods? I might try offering things like slices of cheese, pieces of avocado (high in healthy fats), strips of toast with real butter or peanut butter (assuming no allergies), apple slices with peanut butter on them, things like that.

And again the double cream sippy might be a good thing to try if you can find time to pump.
    I agree. Sounds like you are on the right track and it's just going to take some time to see what your LO likes the best and then you can pump it into them. I really think the double cream sippy is a great idea!!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

In terms of getting more fats into your daughter, my son loves to drink heavy cream (whipping cream), and happily eats pieces of butter a la carte. Would your daughter eat pieces of very soft pot roast? I imagine (again, no medical training) that more important than straight calories (like in oatmeal or other cereals/breads), you would get more mileage from very nutrient dense foods like meats, organ meats, eggs, dried fruit, dark green veggies with butter, etc. And I can't recall, are you giving her a good multivitamin?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post

FWIW My ds doesn't hold out for ice cream. He is definitely a very very picky eater but we don't load him up with snacks to compensate. The ice cream and double cream sippy's were a way to help him gain fast over a short period of time, then we stopped. It just took finding wat he will eat and for US that means eating tacos and spaghetti (w/ hidden ingredients in the sauces and meat ) at least once or twice a week.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together