Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple shield/pumping

Default nipple shield/pumping

hi. quick intro to the prob. my LO turned two weeks old on sunday. from the get go we had probs with latching and b-feeding. to make a long story short we went through 2 lactation consultants, a tongue tie procedure, bottle feeding breast milk and me pumping, and craniosacral therapy to help with a disaligment jaw. this all happened within the first week of LO being born. Now i'm using the nipple shield.

the nipple shield is working out ok for now.... i have been using it since last weds. i've already tried to offer the breast to him without it and he refuses...i keep hearing bad stuff about the nipple shield and it's making me worry. each feeding i put him on only one breast and then the next feeding the opposite breast. he spends about 10-15min on the breast. my breast feels soft afterwards AND his poopy/wet diaper output is good. 6-8 wet diapers and about 2 big blowouts of mustard yellow,curdy poo. so i'm assuming he's getting enough? we have an appointment to weigh him again next week.

now... as for pumping. when i was bottle feeding him i pumped every 2-3 hours to keep my supply up but now that he's on the nipple shield i haven't been. i just started today pumping in the morning. when should i pump now that he's on the nipple shield?? once?? still every 2-3 hours??
    i don't want my supply go down (i keep reading that's one of the negs about nipple shield) and i don't quite know how much my LO is intaking. (i guess that's one of the positives feeding through a bottle, you know how many oz they're drinking)

any advice would be great!

Default Re: nipple shield/pumping

I don't know much about pumping but me and my LO are using the shield. As long as diaper output is good, you are good.

We just had our one month check up today & he gained 3 lb already, which is quite a lot!! So we had absolutely no problem with supply.

Good luck with weaning - we are still working on it, but I haven't been trying too hard (waiting for LLL leader so I feel more confident to get a good latch).

Stick around, especially if weaning is a challenge. There's lots of great support here.

It doesn't sound like the research on nipple shields is conclusive... There were a couple studies that showed reduced milk transfer with rubber and latex nipple shields; I'm not sure if the same is true with the silicone shields. A 2009 study showed no significant difference in weight gain between babies nursed with a nipple shield and those without.

The current recommendations are basically just what you're doing -- watching for signs that the baby is nursing effectively, like alertness, plenty of poop, baby seems satisfied after nursing, breast feels softer. And, of course, watching the baby's weight gain.

Are you nursing with the shield every 2-3 hours now? From what you've said, it sounds like he's getting enough, but it will be the weight check that confirms it. Could you call your LC and see if she recommends pumping based on what you're seeing with your baby? For peace of mind, maybe you could pump once or twice a day, or even just add another nursing session or two until the weight check and you have a better picture of how it's going.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

The nipple shield saved my life, we used it since my LO was a few weeks (or days) old until he was 3 months old because my nipples were so sore and he wanted to nurse all the time so they didnt have any time to heal, my milk supply has always been good, if you want to increase your milk supply or just make sure you dont dry up you can pump and discart... but it wasnt really necessary with us, and we used those things for quite a while!

I didn't read PP, so some of my words may be a repeat.

I too used a nipple shield with my little one until he was five weeks old. We had a very hard time latching and we turned to the shield. I personally don't believe that studies that say your LO will have low weight gain or might not get enough with a nipple shield. DS was 8 lbs 4 oz at birth and weighed 12 lbs at 1 month old. If your LO diaper output it good, I wouldn't worry about it. Concentrate now on feeding your little one and establishing a good BF relationship. When things are going smoothly, you can work on weaning of the shield. It will take time and patience, but it is due able when you are ready. I took a whole weekend and weaned my DS from the shield. We never looked back. It could take less time than that for you, and it could take more.

Weaning from the shield: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

When I used the shield, I did not pump to keep my supply up. I did pump once in the morning 2-3 ounces while I was engorged - but this was so I would have a good freezer stash for when I return to work (which essentially ended up giving me oversupply for a long time). If you LO is completely feeding from the breast - I wouldn't go crazy with pumping unless you are looking to have a freezer stash. Are you 100% nursing or are you also providing EBM (expressed breast milk)? How old is your LO?

GL!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...nd-or-foe.html

I liked this article on the shield.