Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Weaning

Default Re: Weaning

hang in there... its way ok to give him a little push....
    do you have any help? Maybe getting a younger teen to come in and just hang out a few days a week after school would help. You don't have to pay much if your still home have them take the baby and you can do special things with your older one besides nurse. I fell in the its much easier just to do it trap when sarah was 3... in the winter what else is there to do...

I haven't been there so I don't have any advice for you, just encouragement and for being such an amazing mama. I hope limiting nursing to naps/bedtime helps.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I haven't been there so I don't have any advice for you, just encouragement and for being such an amazing mama. I hope limiting nursing to naps/bedtime helps.
    Also wanted to give you props for your commitment to nursing him for so long!

IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Do you guys talk about being done? Have you asked him how long he wants to nurse? When you say he won't be distracted, what have you offered up that he has turned down? Juice pops? Pieces of trident? Cookies? Fruit roll ups?
    So....ARE you nursing anywhere close to 12times a day?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Do you guys talk about being done? Have you asked him how long he wants to nurse? When you say he won't be distracted, what have you offered up that he has turned down? Juice pops? Pieces of trident? Cookies? Fruit roll ups?
    annie's fruit bunnys, TJ's lollipops, brownies! M and Ms, vanilla soy milk. We talked over dinner about a weaning party and what weaning meant and he was totally into it! then Mike said "after the weaning party you can snuggle and do fun special things with mommy but you won't nurse anymore" and Max was like "ah, no of course I'll still nurse daddy!" But it's the opening of the dialogue that I will revisit and be firm on my limits again.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    yes but so many are tandem sessions. I think Max nurses about 10x per day.and I work out of home!!!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

He's a cutie pie, that Max.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My DD wants nothing to do with the discussion either. She keeps saying that they are hers and that the baby can drink cows milk. I'm looking for a book or video or something that might help.

Oh and I love the avatar Tracie
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    yes but so many are tandem sessions. I think Max nurses about 10x per day.and I work out of home!!!
    When he wants to tandem, what would happen if you say "not right now, it's Sam's turn..." How does he react when you try to implement limits, such as telling him he can only nurse before/after nap, before bed, etc. ?

And I also Tracie's new avi!

My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    annie's fruit bunnys, TJ's lollipops, brownies! M and Ms, vanilla soy milk. We talked over dinner about a weaning party and what weaning meant and he was totally into it! then Mike said "after the weaning party you can snuggle and do fun special things with mommy but you won't nurse anymore" and Max was like "ah, no of course I'll still nurse daddy!" But it's the opening of the dialogue that I will revisit and be firm on my limits again.
    And your discussion on the weaning party totally reminds me of when we were weaning MJ off her pacifier... I told her about the "bubbas fairy" coming and bringing her a present, and she was TOTALLY into it. And that first night of no pacifier went GREAT. But then the next several nights when the paci was gone, but no present was coming the next day, she was NOT happy.