Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weaning

Default Weaning

I really want to wean Max, like really. A lot. . He shows zero signs of giving it up anytime soon. I dread nursing him and feel pretty bad about it. He asks about 12 x per day, he will be 4 in October, he will not be distracted. Any advice?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: Weaning

I can definitely relate (well, except for the newborn baby also nursing part!). I have gotten DD down to nursing about 3-4 times a day by allowing it only at naptime and bedtime and waking up. BUT, she wants to nurse for 30 minutes to an hour when she does. I'm slowly trying to ease her back to about 20 minutes right now. But I'll definitely be watching here for ideas, because I'd like to be done nursing, but don't know how to go about it in a way that won't freak DD out.

Congrats on making it to the 3+ club first of all. It's where the cool moms go.

You have a lot of options. Since he is older you can do the weaning party. Set a date on the calendar. Do it up big, and then it's done.

Also, the 12+ times a day that he asks. Do you give in or are you nursing him that much? Is it a wham-bam thank you mam kind of nursing or does he actually take up your time with it?

If he is taking up a lot of time nursing then limit him. With Logan we did the song singing and that was it. I did Twinkle Twinkle 2 times and then it was over.

And you have to remember that you have recently brought #2 into the home and so a lot of the nursing is comfort at this point. So you really have to make it up in other ways.

Logan weaned shortly after 3. He just stopped asking.... I guess I got lucky. But honestly I made it so not fun for him anymore by shortening the time and when he could nurse.

You really need to set limits and stick to them. Pick 2 or 3 times he can nurse and that's it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Ok yes I make it unfunny too, mostly lately by finger combing his hair. I also say red-light after a few seconds but sometimes I literally have to push him off me and that's no fun for anyone. I told him just now that nursing is ok before nap and bed so we shall see.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Good luck! I remember just how irritating nursing a big kid could be. And you've gone a full year beyond what I was willing to put up with. Kudos!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Jenna. Have you read "How Weaning Happens?" I have it here, I can look at it and see if it has any tips on weaning one while tandeming the other.

Hopefully he'll go for the twice a day nursing. I remember shoving Lilah off my lap... that's not a fun place to be. Do you think you can hang in there longer if he's willing to drop it to twice a day?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes if it could be like it was before Sam I wouldn't have an issue. It's just sad because I know he loves nursing but also with my divided time i know it's his way of being close to me
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I completely understand you on that Jenna. That is a big connection I am missing with Lilah and I don't know how to get it back. I'm trying to play with her more, it's hard to do anything alone with her without the baby if we're at home. Saturday mornings we try to make sure that Lilah and I can go do something for a couple hours and DH spends time with the baby.

I hope you can get him down to nursing once or twice a day.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Sorry I have no advice you know just
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Jenna. I'm not sure how this would work with Sam nursing all the time, but for me to be able to continue nursing Wyatt at all, I had to start setting some real limits. We went from on demand to nursing down and up from sleeps, and now we only nurse before sleeps, so if he doesn't nap, it's only once a day, just before bed. He still does nap a fair bit, though, and on the days that we nurse twice, I sometimes do dread it. I've also been shortening the time he can nurse. He's chill as a rule, which makes it easier. If I am absolutely dreading the session, or if my nipples are sore from where I'm at in my cycle, I will tell him before he latches on that it will be a short nursies.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012