Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Leftover breastmilk after feeding

Default Leftover breastmilk after feeding

I just started back at work this week and I have two questions:

1) I am gone for two feedings and my 12wk old daughter eats between 4-5oz during the first missed feeding and 3-4oz during the second. Since she doesn't eat a set amount there is usually some leftover milk in her bottle. Is it ok to use that leftover milk later in the day or over the next day or two?

2) When I pump at work do I need to freeze the breastmilk right away or can I put it in the fridge at work and then freeze it later when I get home?

Thanks for all your help

Default Re: Leftover breastmilk after feeding

1) I always reused milk later in the day, or rather my husband did. However I wouldn't reuse it after 3 or 4 hours or so. Another alternative is to divide it up into smaller bottles of 2-3 ounces each so less gets left.

2) You can put it in the fridge and then freeze later. That'd be the best option since bringing it home after it's partially frozen and then refreezing it could potentially be harmful. It's a no-no to refreeze thawed milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Leftover breastmilk after feeding

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    1) I always reused milk later in the day, or rather my husband did. However I wouldn't reuse it after 3 or 4 hours or so. Another alternative is to divide it up into smaller bottles of 2-3 ounces each so less gets left.

2) You can put it in the fridge and then freeze later. That'd be the best option since bringing it home after it's partially frozen and then refreezing it could potentially be harmful. It's a no-no to refreeze thawed milk.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language