Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with my Pump!

Default Frustrated with my Pump!

After having a great weekend of BFing and no pumping (yay), my pump now seems to hate me. I am trying to pump at work, so that DS will have enough milk at daycare tomorrow - and I'm having so much trouble! It feels like the suction isn't as strong as it should. I just put in new membranes, but it didn't make a difference. I have a Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I made sure the tubes are connected good enough (and I pushed one in so far that now I can't get it back out, sigh.) Any other ideas on what might be wrong? Ugh!

I'll try to call Medela later today when I get a chance, but I thought I would ask here too...

Default Re: Frustrated with my Pump!

Weird. I'd call them. You aren't using battery power or anything like that, are you?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Nope, it's plugged in.

That's really weird. Is everything seated well?

I have found that sometimes, I don't get the flanges on exactly right and that makes the suction less
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It mysteriously seems better now. I don't think I was doing anything different! Maybe I was just subconsciously upset I had to pump today?

Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Im PAK rite now and just had the *same exact thing happen* UHHGG! just weird cus now its fine
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

So it happened again today! My first pump session of the day was fine, and then all the rest were horrible. The pump felt weaker and I wasn't getting as much milk out.

I called Medela, who told me that my pump sounded fine, and that it was probably just my body getting used to the pump. Even though I had it on max and it didn't hurt (and last week, max was way too strong), it's a problem with me. I don't understand how that could happen basically overnight, but she said that I've pumped too much and am used to it now. I cried on the phone (oops) because that means I'm not going to be able to pump enough milk for daycare with this pump. She told me that she's going to send out all new parts because that's what causes the suction... and we'll see if that helps.

After the day I have had though, I'm probably just doomed. DS got beat up at daycare (a girl in his class scratched his face really close to his eye - wtf) and then he majorly pooped all over his car seat. Not a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    So it happened again today! My first pump session of the day was fine, and then all the rest were horrible. The pump felt weaker and I wasn't getting as much milk out.

I called Medela, who told me that my pump sounded fine, and that it was probably just my body getting used to the pump. Even though I had it on max and it didn't hurt (and last week, max was way too strong), it's a problem with me. I don't understand how that could happen basically overnight, but she said that I've pumped too much and am used to it now. I cried on the phone (oops) because that means I'm not going to be able to pump enough milk for daycare with this pump. She told me that she's going to send out all new parts because that's what causes the suction... and we'll see if that helps.

After the day I have had though, I'm probably just doomed. DS got beat up at daycare (a girl in his class scratched his face really close to his eye - wtf) and then he majorly pooped all over his car seat. Not a good day.
    Oh no!! That's so frustrating! I also used a PISA, and I found I had some "bad days" with the suction, and I never really figured out what it was. I would switch out the parts, plug everything in firmly, etc. ... most of the time that would do the trick, but sometimes, oddly, it wouldn't. And then things would be okay the next day.

One thing I would say is: If you think the suction is low, I BET IT IS. Sometimes I would get a clogged duct, and then the problem would be that I couldn't get much milk no matter how high the suction. But you never get so used to the suction that you can't tell whether it's working, that's silly. If your nipples are being pulled less than usual, well, that's the MACHINE, not you. So stick to your guns! I hope the new parts help!!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Does it seem to be making a weirder sucking sound? Like more labored?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language