Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nursing strike

Default nursing strike

Hello mama's
    Thank God for the support I get here! I would be lost without you all!! So my DD is on her 5th day of her second nursing strike. This is her second since she learned how to latch on and stay nursing (she finally learned by 2 months old). Took her that long and it was a battle but she got it. I feel like she just does not want my breast. It's so frustrating. She's 3 months old now and since she's been born it has been an uphill battle with nursing. It would be a dream come true to nurse til' at least her 1st birthday especially with the fact that she has intolerance to dairy, soy, eggs, and peanuts, but at this rate, I'm not sure if we'll make it. Have any of you had a similar experience? Every time we have a nursing strike it feels like we're back at square one! It kills me every time she pushes my breast away. She hasn't had a bottle since she was 3 weeks old. Will she ever learn to love nursing. I want her to want me.
    Thank you!

Default Re: nursing strike

Don't feel bad. You CAN get through this. You have already made it through one so you know that a striking child WILL still nurse. They just need to be sleeping, waking from sleeping or falling asleep. And at that young you have enough opportunities between night nursing and nap nursing to get all her feeds in. '
    Do you think there is anything going in in terms of letdown or flavor that would make her reject your breast?

Way too lazy for formula

Sorry, Mama!

You have this link, right? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Has baby been checked for thrush and reflux? Sometimes hurting babies won't nurse because it hurts too much.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I started working out again heavily, not sure if that has any effect on the taste of milk. I do have a lot of lactic acid build up in my muscles from weights and running sprints. I was really sick and had to be on antibiotics too, but I don't see a sign of thrush. could it be possible the antibiotics changed the taste of milk? If so, do you have an idea of how long after I finish the round, the taste will go back to normal? Such a puzzle!!! Thanks so much again!!!

Post Re: nursing strike

I'm sorry you're going through this! But it's so great that you're still working on it!

I went through the same thing with my dd, and we discovered the diet sensitivities like you. Do you think maybe she's sensitive to something else you're still eating? Or maybe you're eating too much of one thing and it's overloading her digestive system? Maybe it's causing reflux like Andrea mentioned (possibly silent reflux, if she's not spitting up)?

And to try to focus on nursing her more at night. Do you co sleep? We co sleep and I know now that that is the only reason my DD gained any weight and kept my supply up.

Keep up with it! You're doing a great job trying to figure this all out!
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

Actually working out CAN in fact change the taste of your milk! So in that respect I think it's better to EASE back in rather than go from NOT to 5 days a week. Does that make sense??

Way too lazy for formula

We had a very long (5 month) long nursing strike but got through it although it was very difficult.

My daughter never seems to mind if I just ran but I guess some baby's don't like the sweat, either.

When we were going through the nursing strike I still could get my baby latched on if she were basically asleep. If I waited until she opened her eyes then she would absolutely refuse but we napped together and slept together at night, too, and that is what gave us any nursing at all.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It is so hard not to take it personally but it really isn't a rejection of you and I hope you can get that fixed in your mind.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I ran all the way up to 2 days before I gave birth and didn't think about it, but have not started back again until now- 3 months post partum because nursing has been such an uphill battle and I haven't been able to get some sort of normalcy until now. kinda. I'm gonna ease up on training for sure. It makes sence.

Krystine, 5 months of a nursing strike??? Oh my!! You give me hope! PLEASE tell me more. Did you ever brake and pump and give her a bottle? I haven't yet, but I haven't left the house either (other than to the Y for an hr) and THAT is hard with two little busy boys. The only way I can get her to nurse is when she's drowsy and sleepy.

Aya's mom, we ruled out the possibility of silent reflux but diet sensitivities still continue to be an issue. I have gone through the top eight allergers and have omitted what I have felt has made her symptoms worse, but somehow we are still not there yet. She has had a few "normal" (as in mustard yellow with curds in it) diapers and her symptoms have gotten better since I started the diet at 3 weeks old but there's inconsistencies still. Every now and then she'll have dark green mucousy stools which last about a week which make her gassy and uncomfortable. For the most part her stools are a light green. What is your expecience with that? Did she grow out of it? Once you took out whatever was bothering her, was her poop consistently better? We had an appointment with a GI Dr and they want to do a colonoscopy to determine if its a true milk allergy or lymphatic tissue being exaserbated. I'm hesitant to say the least. We have another apt for a second opinion next week....

We pumped from day 4 because she was disorganized and had milk removal issues her entire first year. So I pumped at least 8-10x/day never going more than 3 hrs. It wasn't breaking, it was how she got her milk and we had to do it that way or I would have had no supply and she would have starved. We tried twice to "tough love" her into nursing and I spent all day in the chair with her nursing for hours and she lost weight and my supply crashed when she was about 6 weeks old. If you are interested in more, let me know and I'll PM you my story that LLL published.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Krystine its because of amazing mothers like you, that I have made it this far. I definitely want to hear your story. I failed misserably with my two little boys in terms of bf and I was bound not to go down the same path with her. I have had to live with that. I pray to make it right with her. I should tell you that I initially gave her the bottle since her second day after she was born in fear she wasn't getting anything. For 3 weeks I pumped and bottle fed her for every feed. After 3 weeks, I realized it would be extremely difficult to be the mom I expected of myself to my two little boys and my new daughter while being hooked to the pump. After 3 weeks I also realized I never gave breast feeding a chance so I decided I was going for it. It took me one solid month for her to learn to breast feed. One month of hard work all the while starting my journey with food allergies with her. I'm so scared at this point to go back to the bottle because it took me so long to teach her how to breastfeed, however, its a relief to hear that if that is what she needs then its okay. You are obviously proof of that. Thank you so much for giving me hope!