Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Relactation after 4 months - Am I nuts?

Unhappy Re: Relactation after 4 months - Am I nuts?

Thanks so much for your info! I hope to get started right away. I'm going to try a nipple shield and see if that will help her latch on for the time being. I also hope that I can come back with a success story! I just feel like I need to give this a final try!

Default Re: Relactation after 4 months - Am I nuts?

Hi, I am beginning the same process as you. My little Esme is 4 months old, she has extreme allergies (milk and soy) and I wan't to try breast feeding her to see if will help some of her other problems too. I was in labor for 11 hours and then I was pushed to have a c-section. It was horrible and painful. After that I developed post partum depression and was put on meds. My Gyno told me that I couldn't breast feed while I was taking these pills so I stopped. Later my daughters pedi told me that I could have continued to breast feed if I had wanted too. By then I already stopped lactating . I always regretted being unable to breastfeed Esme. I found out today that I could have a fresh start and retry breastfeeding! I started pumping this afternoon and got a little bit. This is such a great sign! Like you I am looking for other experiences too. I hope it works out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emi1129 View Post
    Oh my goodness very lucky. Did she use a bottle or an SNS for the top offs. I am going to try to get her to latch on and doing the same. I reallyyyyyyy do not want to pump. It gave me an oversupply last time and I was always engorged daily.
    She used a bottle. It was 1982- I'm not sure SNS feeders had even been invented at that point!

I strongly encourage you to pump, even though you don't want to, for the following reasons:
    - You want to lure your baby back to the breast, and she's not likely to want to spend much time at the breast if there's no milk in there to reward her.
    - If the baby won't nurse, or won't nurse for long, you can't depend on her to stimulate a full supply.
    - The more you pump, the faster you'll regain a full supply.
    - You're very unlikely to provoke an oversupply situation by pumping at this point. And if you do, you now know to throttle back on the pumping and allow your supply to diminish to a more manageable level.

How old was your sis at that point when she started relactating?
    6 months. So she'd had 3 months of good nursing experience before she was forced to wean. My Mom had a terrific combination of good luck and perseverance.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am so happy that you are giving it another go! It is such a wonderful bond to share with your child, every mother should have the opportunity to experience it. Way to go!! and good luck
    Ashley
    SAHM to Julian 8-5-10 8lbs 11oz and Evan Alexander due 3-24-13
    Wife to Ian 11-13-10

thanks mommal!i will definitely take all this into account try things out and see what works! good luck to u happygolucky we should kit and support each other through this.

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read my post! I'm going to give a very brief background and need some honest advice. I
    have a 5mo baby girl who was breastfed for 5 weeks - on the breast but mainly pumped.
    I had a HORRIBLE c-section which I now know was totally unnecessary, (induced at 41 wks, given 6 hours to labor on pitocin, was only "3" and there was meconium so they "had" to section us! GRRRR!)
    Needless to say, BF had a bumpy start I was in horrible pain the entire time! Baby had thrush for 4 weeks, didn't even know what that was, engorged daily, fevers daily, cracked sore bleeding nipples, even while pumping! Latch wasn't good went to two LC paid lots of $$$ and no fix! They both called her a "barracuda". Anyways, I stopped due to pressure from family members, severe pain, I couldn't see the "light" you know.
    I DEEPLY regret the decision I have made daily and cannot get over the fact that BF didn't work out for us. This was the ONLY way I planned to nourish my baby and I failed! She's currently doing great on formula - zero issues but I want to try it again. Am I nuts? Is the jig up? Will I mess her up by imposing this on her? Everyone thinks I am out of my mind but I can't help the way I feel. She refuses my breast! What should I do? I am still able to squeeze a few drops daily despite the fact and I am on bc, drink loads of coffee, barely drink water, and dieting. HELP!
    You aren't nuts!! I relatched after 5 months. Here is my story (it's long, but you will find a lot of tips and inspiration if you need it
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...=1#post1132894
    I would reduce the coffee intake however as caffiene can make babies quite wakeful if it comes through in the breastmilk. Drinking lots of water can help the milk flow and you needn't worry about dieting because you will lose weight naturally... Good luck!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Great, I know I need as much support as possible and its great to go through things with other people. I have started drinking Mothers Milk today. The le leche leader in my area said that might help. How long does it generally take to get your milk to come back in? I have started to get a few drops but thats about it. I know its not an overnight thing.

Well that's all I get too but i've only hand expressed. I am not sure how long it takes - everything i read says something different but I guess it'll take a few weeks. How long did you bf before you weaned her? did u ever have a full supply? if u did, as i did before, it supposedly takes less time. does your little one latch?

The length of time it takes to get your milk back varies a lot from mom to mom. Some moms see immediate results, others have to wait. Some things that affect the time-table:
    - How often you express or pump (the more, the better!)
    - Whether or not your baby will nurse (nursing stimulates supply as well as or better than pumping)
    - How long it has been since you last nursed
    - How good your pump is (relactation is easier when you're using a high-quality pump, preferably a hospital-grade rental or at least a high-end double electric)
    - How your body responds to pumping, and to any combination of herbs or prescription drugs you choose to take

Keep up the good work, Mamas! We're all rooting for you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You mentioned that there was an issue with pumping, so I just wanted to plug in that the Medela Symphony is REALLY comfortable and I don't even notice it really. It's SUPER important you have the right size flanges, as I used to cringe every time I did it.

And you don't have to clean up all the pump parts every time. Some people say put them in the fridge and reuse them once. . .I don't even do that. Breastmilk is really good for awhile left out, six hours (some even say ten!)

www.lowmilksupply.org has some REALLY great tips for pumping/building a supply.

Also! There is a video on here about how to do breast compressions while you pump. I think it is in the pumping forum.

Go mamas!!!