Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Relactation after 4 months - Am I nuts?

Unhappy Relactation after 4 months - Am I nuts?

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read my post! I'm going to give a very brief background and need some honest advice. I
    have a 5mo baby girl who was breastfed for 5 weeks - on the breast but mainly pumped.
    I had a HORRIBLE c-section which I now know was totally unnecessary, (induced at 41 wks, given 6 hours to labor on pitocin, was only "3" and there was meconium so they "had" to section us! GRRRR!)
    Needless to say, BF had a bumpy start I was in horrible pain the entire time! Baby had thrush for 4 weeks, didn't even know what that was, engorged daily, fevers daily, cracked sore bleeding nipples, even while pumping! Latch wasn't good went to two LC paid lots of $$$ and no fix! They both called her a "barracuda". Anyways, I stopped due to pressure from family members, severe pain, I couldn't see the "light" you know.
    I DEEPLY regret the decision I have made daily and cannot get over the fact that BF didn't work out for us. This was the ONLY way I planned to nourish my baby and I failed! She's currently doing great on formula - zero issues but I want to try it again. Am I nuts? Is the jig up? Will I mess her up by imposing this on her? Everyone thinks I am out of my mind but I can't help the way I feel. She refuses my breast! What should I do? I am still able to squeeze a few drops daily despite the fact and I am on bc, drink loads of coffee, barely drink water, and dieting. HELP!
    Last edited by @llli*emi1129; May 2nd, 2011 at 08:29 PM.

Default Re: Relactation after 4 months - Am I nuts?

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! I'm sorry you had such a rough time in the early days. The cards certainly stacked up against you.

The good news is that it's absolutely not too late to relactate. The fact that you still can get out a few drops of milk is a very positive sign- it means that you won't be starting from scratch!

This link covers relactation: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html
    And this one covers getting a previously weaned baby to the breast:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Whether or not you can get your baby back to the breast at this point is sort of a toss-up. She may go back to nursing, or she may not. If not, you can still pump and bottlefeed.

One thing I'd definitely consider is ditching the oral contraceptive, and choosing an alternate form of birth control (I'm partial to barrier methods). The pill can really impact your milk supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for your response and resources. I am going to try it out this week! Im going to the GYN this week - do you think they can prescribe something to help my milk supply?

If anyone knows any success stories, please share! I really could use some motivation and advice!!! I have never met anyone who has relactated successfully. When i've asked other moms, they look at me like I have two heads or something.

to you for wanting to give BF another try! I havent had to re-lac but wanted you to know your at the right place for help, supprt, and encouragement

I did however have a *LOW* supply problem so im doing EVERYDAY: Fenegreek (12) Blessed thistle (9) mothers milk tea (5bags) fennell tea (2bags) They have ben a big help!

good luck, jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emi1129 View Post
    Im going to the GYN this week - do you think they can prescribe something to help my milk supply?
    There are 2 prescription drugs which are often used by moms who need to increase milk supply, Reglan and Domperidone. Use of either one is considered "off-label," and both drugs have additional side-effects that should be discussed with your doctor or midwife.

If anyone knows any success stories, please share!
    My Mom relactated from a bone-dry state after 3 months off due to medical reasons, and went on to nurse my little sister until she was 18 months!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Wow ladies thanks so much for the info! Could you share any details as to what your mom did to relactate? That is so awesome to hear that she was able to do that! VERY encouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emi1129 View Post
    Could you share any details as to what your mom did to relactate?
    She was lucky. My sister went back to the breast very willingly, and simply by putting the baby to the breast before topping up with formula, my mom was able to phase out the formula and regain a full supply.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; May 4th, 2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: fix quote tags ;)

Oh my goodness very lucky. Did she use a bottle or an SNS for the top offs. I am going to try to get her to latch on and doing the same. I reallyyyyyyy do not want to pump. It gave me an oversupply last time and I was always engorged daily.

I don't think you are nuts!

While I haven't compeltely relactated, I was only pupming 4 oz of breastmilk in Jan, and Now I pump almost 20 oz!

In addition to what mommal said in your other thread, you need a hospital grade pump and need to pump ALOT. 8-12 times a day. At least once at night.

I would also recommend a hand pump or other more portable pump for when you are out and about.

Motherlove More Milk Special Blend is supposed to help adoptive, relactating, and other special case mothers. I'd try that! If you can get a prescription for domperidone, I call them my magic pills

Now I would mainly focus on making breastmilk at first, but if he (she?) can nurse, thats WONDERFUL as it will stimulate your body to make milk. I would recommend taking a nice long relaxing bath with your baby and seeing what happens. The main thing is to make the breast area a happy place.

Always remember though, that milk removal drives milk production. Supply and demand. Even if you can only pump for a few minutes sometimes, it's better than not pumping at all. 10 min 10 times a day is better than 30 min 3 times a day.

I hope more people can give advice! I would love to see you come back with a success story!

Good luck!

How old was your sis at that point when she started relactating?