Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What formula is "cloest" in taste to breastmilk?

Default Re: What formula is "cloest" in taste to breastmilk?

We finally got her to take 2/3 breast milk mixed with 1/3 Earths Best organic formula.

I was a milk donor so I am familiar with the programs (donated 3,400oz with both kids). However, I know the supply is so limited that I would feel bad taking milk from a baby that "needs" it for medical reasons if mine will take the mixed formula/breastmilk. She is 9 months old and healthy and I have found an organic milk that I feel ok with so far. I wish it was only my milk but I think I have finally come to terms with the fact that she will not be on only milk for her first 2 years like my first was.

It will take time but we will get there I hope.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

You've done an amazing job, no guilt needed!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumma2thumper View Post
    You've done an amazing job, no guilt needed!
    i have no experience with formula, but i've heard that what you're feeding her is very high quality. You know that any breast milk is better than none, so just keep giving her whatever you're producing and try not to slack on the pumping just to keep what milk you do have going strong.

You're doing the best you can, and it's great.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

i think similac is garbage anyways. we've had luck with gerber good start gentle (orange can). unlike similac gentle, the first ingrediant is not sugar. My DD i think will eat anything we put in her mouth though, so I dunno how the flavor compares. I'm only pumping about 8 oz per day total (out of 5 or sometimes 6 sessions) and DD refuses to nurse.

We used Baby's Only Organic formula from about six months to a year, on the two days a week I worked. My daughter always drank it right up, and still seems to prefer it to cow's milk when I'm not around to nurse.

The labels all read "Toddler Formula," because the company wants to promote breastfeeding for the first year. Maybe that's just marketing genius, but it helped me to trust them somehow (like they're not trying to claim their formula is equal to breastmilk).

I've tasted it, and the difference between it and my breast milk reminds me of the taste of soy milk compared to cow's milk, if that makes sense! Obviously breast milk tastes fresher, and the formula has a bit of that powdery taste, but I found the formula to be somewhat pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xpectin2fly View Post
    We used Baby's Only Organic formula from about six months to a year, on the two days a week I worked. My daughter always drank it right up, and still seems to prefer it to cow's milk when I'm not around to nurse.

The labels all read "Toddler Formula," because the company wants to promote breastfeeding for the first year. Maybe that's just marketing genius, but it helped me to trust them somehow (like they're not trying to claim their formula is equal to breastmilk).

I've tasted it, and the difference between it and my breast milk reminds me of the taste of soy milk compared to cow's milk, if that makes sense! Obviously breast milk tastes fresher, and the formula has a bit of that powdery taste, but I found the formula to be somewhat pleasing.
    I've also read that this is the only formula out there without Corn Syrup in it, if that's important to you. They also make a "Nutritional Drink" with Vanilla and Chocolate Flavor, but I believe those are only for kids 1 year and up.

OP: Good luck to you Mama! You have no reason to feel bad/guilty. Many people would have given up long ago! Hope you get some answers soon.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Update: Well, she will take the Baby's Only Organic formula (thanks xpectin2fly) if we mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with breast milk. This is a good start. I am pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock and I am getting enough to make all of her bottles 1/2 and 1/2. They are giving me more hormones to help make more milk and insurance has even covered a hospital pump for rental since my baby will not take formula. IT has been very hard but getting better.

Now if someone would make a pump that stays on while we sleep and pumpps every hour of so in my sleep and stores the milk in a cooler I woudl be thrilled!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

it sounds like you are doing everything you can! That's great about the hospital pump! Keep it up mama! I hope they find some answers for you soon.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Aww you are doing great Mama! It must be such work, but you are getting back on track.

I agree about a night time pump LOL SOMEONE needs to invent that.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!