Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which feeding went first? Which one went last for you?

Default Which feeding went first? Which one went last for you?

My LO is 10 months old and he is really liking solids. I offer twice a day so i dont know if that was a mistake....

Most of the time he doesnt drain the boob. Half the time, i feel like the boob isnt enough for him (as a "meal") but more for comfort and hanging out. He'll drink a little bit, let go, i'd bring him to the boob again, drink a little (or not) and then off to explore. I'm just a litte sad Is this normal for a 10 month old?

On another note, what was your experience? Which feeding was the first to go, and the last?
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

Default Re: Which feeding went first? Which one went last for you?

At ten months old, Joe was extremely distractible, and always off wanting to explore! He nursed a lot at night, so that's when I think he got a lot of nourishment. But then around a year, it was like he rediscovered breastfeeding and wanted to just snuggle on my lap and nurse a lot. Slowly but surely, he is now backing off again. But anyway, babies go through phases. I doubt your son is actually weaning, I think he's just going through the distractible phase!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

joe.s.mom: I hope that's it. I know everyone weans but it's just bittersweet to think it might happen soon. Makes me want to have another one
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

Yep, around that age, DD was steadily cutting down on feedings and I thought that she'd eventually be weaned. For some reason, turning one seems to be a rough period for kids--I guess there is so much going on, like teething, separation anxiety, big milestones, more awareness of everything going on, etc.--and then suddenly you're fighting to keep 'em off your lap . Seriously, somewhere past one year of age, there was a dark period where I was permanently on the couch, with DD nursing furiously every twenty minutes or something. Thought I'd go mad.

I could never figure this one out. My DD nursed so much and it wasn't like set feedings, it was just whenever. She's 3 now and still hooked on the night time.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Bedtime feeding went first for us, then the middle of the night one. The morning one is still around. I'm trying to drop the before naptime one.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

For us, the feeds not associated with sleep went first, then the wake-up nursies, then the before nap nursies. We still nurse before bed.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

When my son was 10 months, i was pretty convinced he was weaning too... i think there was just a lot going on for him at that time, becoming more engaged with the world, etc...

Now at 17 months he's nursing strong - i'd bet this is what's going on with your LO too, it's really not common for a 10 mo to wean on his own. I found it was a lot less frustrating for both of us to just go with the flow and not try to 'make' him nurse longer than he wanted. And in no time, he was back at it.

We've had several small stages like this over the months, little mini nursing strikes.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it