Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: prefers one side

Default prefers one side

I just submitted this question to the LLL email help, but i'd like help as soon as possible so i'm posting here as well.

My newborn (6 days old) seems to prefer the right breast. He will latch on to my left, but then become frustrated and push off. My left is now engorged, and i'm having a hard time hand expressing from it as well. I have tried cradle hold, football hold, and side laying, and either way he seems to prefer the right side.
    What should I do to help him latch and stay latched on and relieve the engorgement?

-renee

Default Re: prefers one side

Hi!
    Generally babies DO have a preference and it's generally the side they can get milk form the easiest. The trick is to offer consistently so both you and the baby can practice. If you are beginning to get engorged, always try to express a little w/ the pump BEFORE offering that side. Also try expressing in the shower. I know a lot of us have breasts that turn on like faucets in the shower. Also try to offer that breast BEFORE the baby gets too hungry so there will be more patience involved in the practice and not so much exasperation on the part of the baby! Welcome to the boards! HTH!

thanks!
    when you say i should be consistent, do you mean i should continue to switch sides, or should i offer the left more?

Well babies learn very quickly. That's where "nipple preference" comes from. I think if he thinks if he throws a fit he'll always get the "easy boob" he'll always throw a fit. W/ my son there was a latch issue on one side and as a result dramatically more pain for me when we nursed on that side. I have always been a "block feeder" which means I always only nurse off one side until he's done. ( I could never wake a sleeping baby) So he figured out that if he didn't figure things out, he wasn't going to get to eat half the time My son isn't trying to miss a meal! For us doing the football hold really worked because it put the baby in the same position as he preferred on the other side. But he may also be getting frustrated by a slower letdown or flow which will only improve with consistent USE(Of the breast that is) and his increased skill. So that's why I said to watch for his cues and try to put him there before he falls apart right when he starts to root. . Well before they hungry cries begin! I am worried about the engorgement....that will sometimes get in the way of a good latch as well. If it is engorged, always hand express before putting him there and take it as a sign that you DO need to be putting him to that side more frequently! Good Luck!