Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Good Report - Shield

Default Good Report - Shield

I wanted to give a good report for once especially for anyone else using a shield.

We had our one month well-baby check up today and got to get an official weight gain. At birth he was 5 lb 13 oz. Today he is up to 8 lb 12 oz - just 1 month and 4 days later!

It really makes the always frequent feedings and lack of sleep feel worth it.

Also, there was obviously no issue with the shield causing transfer issues.

Default Re: Good Report - Shield

That's terrific! Job well done, Mama! I know we often say dire things about shields around here- so it's nice to see a case where the shield was nothing but a help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Great job mama!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

thats awesome! i hope i get a positive outlook when i start weaning my LO off the shield. how did that work for you?? tips?

We are actually still working on that (waiting for LLL leader). I practice a few times here and there -- he gets an ok latch but often slips off & massages the nipple with his tongue.

Tips are all over the place on this forum. I found a bunch by googling wean from nipple shield.

Biggest tip: patience. It sounds like many babies just need time to develop & get a bigger mouth.

I used a shield with my oldest, and it worked great. I have flat nipples and it helped to draw them out for her to nurse. Weaning from the shield just takes patience and time. I had her off of it by 6 weeks.

My son wouldn't use it correctly. He doesn't drop his tongue easily so he would pinch the shield between his gums and suck. So I got pinch marks. We still have tongue issues when he is fussy but he's 8 wks now and latches ok.

So congrats and keep up the great work!