Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will Pumping and Solids lead to weaning?

Unhappy Will Pumping and Solids lead to weaning?

My baby is 8mos old and he's happily on his way with BLS and we've enjoyed a challenging but worth it relationship nursing and pumping while I work.

He doesn't want to nurse at lunch anymore, and is starting to get distressed when I come to visit to nurse, or just visit in general and leave so I will be replacing that with a bottle. He also won't nurse on dropoff/pickup and we have an hour drive so that's another bottle or two I'm replacing.

So, this is turning into a only nurse in the evening and nighttime relationship during the week. When I have time off and we are together he loves nursing and nurses lots.

I just worry, we're going about 12-14 hours without nursing, and I pump at work but.. seems like the beginning of the end?

I also worry because he doesn't drink as much pumped as he does when he nurses, but I try to remind myself that my pumped milk has tons of the hindmilk in it so it's probably not necessary. He loves eating solids and he's gaining/growing well and happy minus some teething.

I guess I just mostly want to be nursing not giving so many bottles, but he's chosen bottles because he just can't focus on nursing at daycare. I guess I just feel like this is leading to weaning or full time bottles, and I don't want that.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Default Re: Will Pumping and Solids lead to weaning?

This is totally normal mama and it doesn't mean the end of your nursing relationship. At 8 months you will need to continue to be diligent about pumping to keep your supply up, but as you approach one year you can start to slow down and stop pumping altogether. Your milk supply at that point will be well-established and there when you need it. Just keep yourself available to nurse when you are with your baby and make sure to pump when you aren't and you'll be fine.

ETA: at 8 months lots of babies start to be very easily distracted, I bet that's what's going on at daycare
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Will Pumping and Solids lead to weaning?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    This is totally normal mama and it doesn't mean the end of your nursing relationship. At 8 months you will need to continue to be diligent about pumping to keep your supply up, but as you approach one year you can start to slow down and stop pumping altogether. Your milk supply at that point will be well-established and there when you need it. Just keep yourself available to nurse when you are with your baby and make sure to pump when you aren't and you'll be fine.

ETA: at 8 months lots of babies start to be very easily distracted, I bet that's what's going on at daycare

He's also way old enough you could switch to a cup (even a regular cup) and that might help encourage him to do any sucking at the breast instead of a bottle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!