Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone pumping after 17 mths?

Default Anyone pumping after 17 mths?

DD2 is now 17 mths and is a terrible nurser and eater, she is also FTT and has not gained in over 8 mths. I pump 4 times a day in addition to nursing her 3 times per day and now I am just not getting enough milk. I had been getting about 15-18 oz but the last two moths when my period is coming, it drops to maybe 10 oz for almost 10 days. Is there anything I can do? I feel like it is crazy to pump for a baby this old and also if if is just normal to get less and less as the baby gets older. I already drink fenugreek tea, that seemed to help more than the pills for me. I just don't know what to do. So how much can others pump at this age? Any alternatives to cow or soy milk, she hates both but needs high calorie/high fat milk as she is FTT.

Thanks,
    Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Anyone pumping after 17 mths?

I am not pumping anymore, but I did until 22 months. Have you tried power pumping in the evenings? 10 mins on, 10 mins off for one hour. That can help bring up supply. Aside from fenugreek I also took alfalfa, fennel, and ate oatmeal a lot. There is also this site, www.lowmilksupply.org that has info about other herbal galactagogues. Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: Anyone pumping after 17 mths?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abaker89 View Post
    ...Any alternatives to cow or soy milk, she hates both but needs high calorie/high fat milk as she is FTT.
    What about coconut or almond milk? Those are both really healthy, tasty milks and you can get vanilla almond milk which she mightlike, it's still really healthy for you but tastes YUUMMMMY
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply