Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing to Nurse - Need Help

Default Refusing to Nurse - Need Help

My DS is 10 months old and has been nursing fine and taking bottles of pumped milk during the day while I'm at work with no problems. I just returned Friday from a 3 night work trip. While I was gone my DH gave him pumped milk and some formula (I had no choice, I couldn't pump enough milk). DS was completely breastfeed, until just this week. When I returned home Friday night, DS nursed fine. He nursed fine on Saturday morning and at lunchtime. Saturday afternoon we were out and I tried to nurse, but DS wasn't interested. Saturday night when we got home, I tried to nurse him before bed and he became hysterical. Crying and screaming arching his back. He wouldn't get anywhere near my breast. DH finally gave him a bottle of pumped milk and he drank it and went to sleep. Same situation all day Sunday and this morning. DS won't get anywhere near my breasts, he starts arching his back and screaming and crying hysterically. He won't calm down until he gets a bottle.

Is there anything I can do to get him back on the boob?!?! Or should I just be glad he is weaned already and give him the pumped milk until he is a year?

I know I shouldn't be so upset, but I am really devestated by this. I nursed my ODS for 13 months and had planned on doing the same with my 10 month old. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Default Re: Refusing to Nurse - Need Help

I think you could keep gently trying to get him back to your breast - it is very unlikely that your baby is actually weaned - his nursing strike could be related to your trip, or it may not be. He could be teething or uncomfortable. Some babies just have nursing strikes for no clearly explainable reason.

Don't force him on your breast, but keep showing him that it's available. I remember around 10 months being a very hard time for us nursing and getting very frustrated about it. It turned out to be just a short stage, and now at 16 months he's nursing as much as ever.

I know there are lots of Mamas on here who will give you more detailed advice on how to get baby latched back on. Good luck mama. Hang in there.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Oh, what a bummer! Nursing strike are the worst. I don't know why anyone would be glad to wean before a year, when it would mean needing to replace nice cuddly nursing sessions with 2 solid months of pumping, at least!

This link covers nursing strikes and how to end them: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Day 12 of his nursing strike. As it turns out, my DS had a double ear infection and had a tooth pop through last week. That, combined with me being gong for three days means that DS has no interest in nursing.

I've tried nursing when he is sleepy and ready for bed, I've tried nursing when he first wakes up. I've tried just him and I in a darkened room, with no distractions. I've tried side lying, cradle, I've even tried nursing with him sitting up because I thougnt lying down might be hurting his ears more. NOTHING is working.

And now my supply is low. I am pumping multiple times a day and I'm barely getting enough to fill a bottle. I'm lucky if I get an once each time. I'm not getting a let down when I pump and I know it's because I'm stressed out about this whole situation.

We only have a month and a half until he turns one and I would have been weaning him anyway. Should I just be grateful that it was a "easy" wean, or should I keep on trying. Any suggestions?!?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemycgande View Post
    We only have a month and a half until he turns one and I would have been weaning him anyway. Should I just be grateful that it was a "easy" wean, or should I keep on trying. Any suggestions?!?
    It's really up to you. If you're definitely going to wean anyway in just 1.5 months, I personally would just concentrate on pumping. But that's me! If there's any doubt in your mind about nursing past 1, and you're thinking that you might just do it, then I'd keep trying to get the baby back to the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I work a very stressful job so I understand about having a hard time letting down. I take deep breaths exhaling as much as possible over and over until I let down, and some of the pumping mamas swear by reading fluffy books.. like silly vampire novels or something.

Once you get letting down your output should go up, as well as supply.

If you are asking if you should give up it sounds like you don't want to. You can do it!
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!