Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Itchy red rash comes and goes

Question Itchy red rash comes and goes

I have an extremely itchy rash that seems to appear sometimes and then go away. It's not always in the same spot. It's usually on the top part of my breasts, not the areola/nipple. It Happens most in the middle of the night when my breasts are fullest, and will appear on the fullest breast. It's bright red and sometimes I see tiny pimple-like bumps. The redness goes away but the pimples sometimes remain. I constantly am itchy but not always with the redness. It is a weird, inconsistent rash. Lotrimin doesn't seem to help the itching. Any ideas of what it is?

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Default Re: Itchy red rash comes and goes

How often are you getting the rash? Could it be a heat rash? how do you sleep? Does it hurt?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I get it daily, usually during the night but sometimes at other times (like now it just appeared in the evening). It definitely disrupts my sleep. I feed the baby much of the night and sleep on my side. It typically appears on the side that I'm not feeding on. I'll look up heat rash and see if that could be it. Last night I put coconut oil on it and it was still there but not quite as itchy or red.

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Could it be hives? If it is, a Benadryl lotion should help, or taking an oral antihistamine.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012