Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any success w/ pharmaceutical galactagogues?

Default Any success w/ pharmaceutical galactagogues?

I would really love to hear people's success stories with pharmeceutical galactagogues. Amount taken, increase in production, how much you pump in a day, etc.

I am thinking of talking to my doc about one of the two common ones to see what she thinks.

I really hate pumping and I am hoping to boost my supply enough to actually freeze some and thereby stomp pumping earlier than I would otherwise. Has anyone else done this?

Right now I only pump about 1/3 of what my daughter needs. I am so sad about that. I would love to be able to giver her breast milk exclusively and secondly to stop pumping earlier.

Thanks for you thoughts!!

Default Re: Any success w/ pharmaceutical galactagogues?

I have no experience with galactagogues, but I would like to know:

- How old is your baby?
    - Are you exclusively pumping?
    - What pump do you use?
    - What is you pumping schedule/routine?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I take domperidone. I call them my "magic pills"

I tried Reglan, but it did make me feel depressed, and I am a single mom, so I didn't think that would be safe to take without someone helping me out, so I stopped.

One precaution with the domperidone is that your supply may become dependent on it, but if you need it, you need it. And boy I needed it.

In March, I was pumping 8 oz a day (up from 4 oz in January), not even a third of what my LO eats (I am exclusively pumping). Last night, I pumped over 20 oz .

However, all the pills in the world won't work unless you pump/nurse 8-12 times a day. Milk removal drives milk production.

I would encourage giving it a try! Good luck!

Although you should also answer jeno's questions, because maybe we can help get your LO to amp up your production.

Hi Katia & Jeno, thanks so much for posting! It is so helpful to talk to people here. I swear at this point I have talked to *everyone* in my town!

Ok, to answer your questions:

Daughter is 9 weeks old
    I am exclusively pumping
    I use Medela PISA
    I pump 8 times a day

Oddly I feel like when I pump 6-7 times a day I have better output but I am too scared to scale back and really test that theory.

NOTHING will boost your supply like frequent milk removal. I would try to add additional pumping sessions whenever possible. Even if you don't get that much milk, it is still sending a signal to your body to boost production. I would maybe do this in the evening when your sig other/husband (I am assuming you have one?) can help take care of the baby. One thing you can do is "power pump" - 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off, repeat for up to one hour. This mimics cluster feeding that some babies will do when they are trying to boost supply during a growth spurt.

Since you hate pumping (and who can blame you? ), have you considered trying to get your baby back to the breast? I don't know any details of your situation as to why your are EPing, but if it is physically possible for your baby to nurse, that would be ideal.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I am using feengreek, blessed thistle, fennell, & mothers milk tea. I went from pumping 20cc from both breasts to 3-6oz (depends on time of day,lo,ect) I think I saw the biggest increase once I started the blessed thistle. Im taking (every day) 16 fngrk - 9 blsd thstl - 5 mmtea bags 2 fennell tea bags. Im thinking about adding rasberry leaf & alfalfa. I wish I could use DOMPERIDONE but I was told its not legal in US?? I was pumping 12x aday AND BF 8x min a day (LO wasnt too good at removing milk or staying awake) Now that DS BF WELL that is when I saw a even bigger increase in my supply. He gained almost a pound last week with only 6oz of formula supps per day, so IMO I REALLY believe that DS did the best for my supply increase.

jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

I used Reglan recently and plan to use it again. It worked wonderfully. I never felt depressed on it. In fact, I felt much more depressed off of it when my milk supply started to subside again. All I can say is make sure to keep removing milk! The only negative side effect is the first week I was on it (at the higher dose) I definitely was sleepy.

I know everyone talks about fenugreek, blessed thistle, all of the herbs, and frequent milk removal... but I only got an extra ounce or two per day with those methods.