Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal? Novice to pumping...

Default Is this normal? Novice to pumping...

Hi,

I just started pumping yesterday so everything is very new to me. I have a few questions:

- I was wondering if it's normal that your nipples come out bigger, swollen, and drawn out after pumping. I am using a Medela Harmony manual pump, and I used it once yesterday and once today for about 10 minutes each time.

- Also, does it hurt where the flange presses against the skin? I felt a bit of pain and when I tried to ease the pressure on the flange, I lost the suction and milk spilled out from the flange on my breast.

- Finally, how much does a manual pumping session usually yield? I got a little over 1 oz for 10 minutes.

I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if these issues are normal. Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Default Re: Is this normal? Novice to pumping...

Sounds normal to me. If the flanges are bothering you you can put some olive oil or lanolin on them so your skin isn't sticking to the plastic. It's possible your flanges aren't the right size for your breasts though.

It does kind of make your nipples misshapen, that's totally normal.

And that output is pretty good for only 10 minutes.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Dear Paige,

thanks for the superquick reply (and for the reassuring words)! I was so freaked out by the shape and size of my nipple, I thought I had done something wrong!!!

I'm looking for a link to a site that can help you figure out what size flange you should be using but I can't find it. I'm gonna send a message to the mama who sent it to me, maybe she still has it. I think it was a medela site though if you want to try to find it. It will be more comfortable and your output will be better if you have the right size.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

This is the one from Medela: http://www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfe...astshield.html

I also have looked @ this one: http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

I like the second one, b/c it shows pictures of actual breasts in actual pumps. Just FYI, in case you click on it @ work or something
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you! I will check these out. Also, as I pumped again yesterday, I realized that I was being a little overenthusiastic the first time. This time around I didn't push as strongly/deeply and quickly on the handle, and my nipple didn't come out as swollen. It was only a little drawn out, but that happens after breastfeeding too!