Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping ='s upset LO

Default Pumping ='s upset LO

Hi Ladies,
    I have a 4 week old and I would like to start a freezer stash like I did with my other 2 kids. The problem is if I pump and he wants to nurse, he throws the biggest fit because he doesn't get the let down fast enough, or my breasts aren't full enough, even if an hour has gone by since pumping. It litteraly ruins the entire day. I tried pumping only 1 side so that when he wants to nurse, he can have 1 full side for sure. Currently he takes both sides at each feeding (sometimes twice). He feeds every 1.5 to 2 hrs. so I'm having a hard time figuring out WHEN to pump. My LC says best time is in the a.m. I do have low supply, another reason to pump. How can I pump and not upset my little one? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you

I would like to add that I'm taking More milk plus, fish oil and fenugreek.

Default Re: Pumping ='s upset LO

Pump right after he's done nursing.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Pumping after he's done nursing can help build your supply, and you might be able to start a stash by collecting what's left after a feeding. I never, ever managed to actually get much (and by much, I mean any) milk from this method, however If you find yourself in the same boat, you might try pumping one breast at night during/after a feeding if you think being sleepy might make your baby amenable to having only one breast.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Pump right after he's done nursing.
    Thanks Tracie, I will try that tomorrow morning. Hopefully it wont ruin the entire day for him.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firefly View Post
    Pumping after he's done nursing can help build your supply, and you might be able to start a stash by collecting what's left after a feeding. I never, ever managed to actually get much (and by much, I mean any) milk from this method, however If you find yourself in the same boat, you might try pumping one breast at night during/after a feeding if you think being sleepy might make your baby amenable to having only one breast.
    I prefer to pump at night, can you believe that when I get out of bed, he wakes up. How does he know that I'm not next to him? Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usa View Post
    \How does he know that I'm not next to him?
    He misses your warmth, your heartbeat, the sound of your breath, your smell... Leaving him with a t-shirt that smells like you- one you've worn a few times- might help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    He misses your warmth, your heartbeat, the sound of your breath, your smell... Leaving him with a t-shirt that smells like you- one you've worn a few times- might help.
    That's interesting, I'll have to try that. Thank you

Have you tried pumping one side while nursing him on the other? I found that pumping in the am gave me the most milk. With my older LO I could pump while she nursed, my 6 mo old will just get really distracted and pull at the pump! But you might give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*efifer View Post
    Have you tried pumping one side while nursing him on the other? I found that pumping in the am gave me the most milk. With my older LO I could pump while she nursed, my 6 mo old will just get really distracted and pull at the pump! But you might give that a try.
    I wish I could nurse and pump at the same time, unfortunately my son needs both sides at each feeding. I wonder if that may change later on. Thanks 4 your advice.

carol