Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to plan for weaning at 12 mos

Default How to plan for weaning at 12 mos

We started solids at 6 mos - a mix of purees and BLW-type solids. I am on a very restricted diet due to DS's allergic colitis. I want to BF until 12 mos as I would like to wean to milk, not formula. I will need to wean before we can try for a sibling (I know that LLL says you don't always have to wean before taking fertility meds but that is unfortunately the case for us). Hoping that DS will be OK with cow, goat, or sheep's milk at 12 mos, how long does it generally take to wean a 1 yr old? We have a freezer full of BM at this point and DS is taking a bottle ok while I am at work - should we wean to the bottle and then to non-BM?

Default Re: How to plan for weaning at 12 mos

I know some folks in the same boat as you - I don't think you have to wean to take fertility drugs, necessarily, but I know that a side effect of many of them is to dry up your milk (bc of the estrogen) anyway ... but I'm not an expert on that (so if someone disagrees, let me know).

Anyway, honestly, I would just play it by ear. You still have a while ... six months is a long time in a baby's life. Closer to a year, you will have a better sense of how attached your baby is to the bottle, or whether you could wean to a sippy cup instead. Since you want to wean straight to milk, I would suggest starting AT A YEAR, instead of before. You'll figure out what works best for your child (maybe diff't things at diff't times of day, honestly - sippy during the day, bottle before bedtime and nap, could work), and then slowly substitute one feeding at a time. Take a few days at least for your body to adjust to the dropped feeding, then drop another one. Take it SLOWLY, to avoid engorgement, mastitis, etc.

I hope you'll find something that works for your baby as far as a milk substitute! I don't know much about allergic colitis, but I know lots of moms on this forum have experience with food allergies. I know you're probably in a hurry to start TTC #2 as soon as possible, but keep in mind that a month or two is unlikely to make much difference, and maybe take your time adjusting to this change and make sure your LO is doing well on the milk substitute that you choose, etc.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Allergic colitis from what? If it's from dairy products, like it is for my LO, I wouldn't consider cow's milk for a replacement. My LO is still nursing for naps and nighttime, but she drinks soy milk with flax oil for her "replacement" milk. There are lots of other "milk" replacement drinks besides soy. You wouldn't be the first mom to wean at 12 months, but like others said, you might want to play it by ear.
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!

Sounds like you work outside the home? And bottle feed at daycare?

That was our situation. I have not weaned and don't have any plans to, but found that my DS cut WAY back on nursing around a year. Honestly, by about 11 1/2 months, he was taking one bottle of BM at daycare and one straw cup of cow's milk (I'd avoid that if your DS is allergic to milk, obviously).

My DS pretty quickly, on his own initiative, got to nursing only before bed, maybe during the night, and sometimes in the morning (though mostly only if he is very drowsy, if he's awake, no dice). I have been on here looking for support/sympathy, honestly, because he seems to really be weaning on his own and much sooner than I was ready for.

Now, that's not the case with everyone who is nursing a toddler, but I think working outside the home kind of speeds up weaning. DS simply doesn't have as many opportunities to nurse, so it has become less of a fixture in his life as he has gotten older.

So much changes so quickly with them. I would not be worried now about weaning in six months. But from my experience, it certainly is possible that your DS will be closer to weaning than you might expect.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I am also in this same boat. My son nurses once in the morning when he wakes up, takes 3 bottles of pumped BM while I'm at work, used to nurse when I got home (but he kinda canceled that nursing session on his own - too distracted with other things) and then once at bedtime.

I think the complete weaning process is going to happen very soon. He turns 1 year in a week and I was concerned about what to give him as a replacement. I don't really want to give him formula but if I give him cow's milk, how much should I give him to see if he's allergic? How do I make that transition to ALL cow's milk? I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.lou View Post
    I am also in this same boat. My son nurses once in the morning when he wakes up, takes 3 bottles of pumped BM while I'm at work, used to nurse when I got home (but he kinda canceled that nursing session on his own - too distracted with other things) and then once at bedtime.

I think the complete weaning process is going to happen very soon. He turns 1 year in a week and I was concerned about what to give him as a replacement. I don't really want to give him formula but if I give him cow's milk, how much should I give him to see if he's allergic? How do I make that transition to ALL cow's milk? I just don't know.
    You don't HAve to wean totally at a year unless you really want too. BM is beneficial for your DS way past 12mo. You can can continue all BM or move to part BM/part other milk. The bottom line is that any BM is a good thing, even just one feed/day. Its also not 'bad' if you decide to wean entirely or if DS (or in my case DD) decides to wean himself entirely.

I'm pretty sure you should see a reaction to the milk within a short time if he's going to react... along the lines of hours to a day rather than weeks. It shouldn't take much either. We actually started the introduction to dairy products via yogurt, then cheese, then milk because we were told the natural digestion that is the yogurt and cheese making processes makes the cows milk proteins easier to digest. Try making the new food introductions on days when you're around to deal with any problems (should anything happen) and, if that goes well, i would replace his daytime BM with cow's milk.

I ended up feeding both yogurt and cheese as part of breakfast. Milk was added free choice for DD to drink from a handled sip cup during her meals. I've fed her solids with my meals from the get go, so breastfeeding became our daytime snacks, as well as the wake up and bed time feeds. Eventually the breastfeeding 'snacks' died out because she was too busy.
    Last edited by @llli*barnheartbabe; May 11th, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])