Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sad today, not ready to be done.

Default sad today, not ready to be done.

I am 17 weeks pregnant with baby no. 2! And am still nursing my 29 month old daughter. =)
    Today, however, I have been unable to express any milk, and my girls constant asking to nurse, paired with her getting un-interrested within just a few minutes confirm for me that the milk's just not there.
    I feel so... empty. Really. I've spent the entire day either bawling or trying my hardest not to cry.
    I was so set on nursing through - and if it happens, it's only to be a dry nurse. I feel so hurt.
    My daughter seems ok. She's asking a lot to nurse, and is sucking - she nurses to sleep for nap, and she went down fine today. She doesn't nurse down for night - and we haven't night nursed in months. I'm not worried that we'll lose our special cuddling time together (at least I don't think I am - but I feel heartbroken. I wasn't ready to stop.
    Aside from talking to my OB about this, do you know of any great books, websites, should I call an LC? Would they be of any assistance?
    Any words of wisdom?
    I know we had a great run.
    I know that nursing was as beneficial to me as it was for her.
    I'm just, sad.
    I'm Adrienne, Mama to Marin Mae
    born 12.18.2008
    5 lbs
    proudly nursed until 36 months when she self weaned.

and Declan Kai
    born 09.13.2011
    4lbs 11oz

proudly and !

bloggy.

Default Re: sad today, not ready to be done.

I wouldn't think you need to talk to your OB . I nursed my 3 yo through my pg. My milk went way down and my son mostly comfort nursed. Then at like 7 months my supply came back and he nursed WAY more. We are now tandem nursing. . Seriously mama this doesn't have to be the end if DD still takes comfort in nursing with you.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with Jenna. If your LO will nurse for comfort, you're not done. You're just transitioning to a different phase of your nursing relationship.

Also that talking to your OB probably won't get you anywhere. All you'd get from most OBs would be a horrified (and ill-informed) "You're nursing while pregnant?! You must stop immediately!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i was going to point you to Jenna562... but she already got here! There are a few other Mamas who tandem nurse... i hope you'll get the support/info you need here.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Would you want to tandem nurse? IME it's great and frustrating all in one! . It has keep a special bond between my oldest and me and I'm glad we are doing it. Lmk if you have any questions on that, there are many of us here who have or are tandeming
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I just wanted to offer you a pat on the back and a "way to go mama!" I also appreciated the comments above and I bet you must feel some peace and calm to know that you can keep on going!! yay!! Happy pregancy!!
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

and Congrats on the new baby!
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Get the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" It's not all about tandeming, it's also about nursing during pregnancy and that kind of thing.

It sounds like you could continue on through your pregnancy if that's what you want to do.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You don't have to wean. I'm 27 weeks and DD will be 3 in a week She's still nursing at night, even though I have no milk. I probably will work on weaning in a few weeks or so, but that's just me.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thank You for all the comments, and words of encouragement.
    I DO wish to continue nursing, I wasn't ready for the milk to be gone. For so many reasons, both mine and my little girls'.
    It's been quite physically painful, and I'm certain my poor breasts are swollen. Would good ole' cabbage leaves help? Oddly, I feel ... engorged? But with no milk present, which seems so strange.
    The only reason I mentioned talking to my OB, is that she is my only Dr. And I have a tendency to slide toward PPD rather easily these days. I've been on the downhill side of the roller coaster for months now, and I really felt like my milk being absent was the straw that broke the camels back.
    My girl keeps saying to me, "Milk, No, WHY?" and it's breaking my heart, although she's continuing to want to nurse. I think my worry has been that she just wouldn't want the breast anymore, and our special time would be ending so very abruptly.
    Anyway, thanks again, and I do plan to tandem nurse - I will have to get that book - and I will definitely have questions Jenna!
    I'm Adrienne, Mama to Marin Mae
    born 12.18.2008
    5 lbs
    proudly nursed until 36 months when she self weaned.

and Declan Kai
    born 09.13.2011
    4lbs 11oz

proudly and !

bloggy.