Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to get started pumping while still nursing?

Default How to get started pumping while still nursing?

Hi! My DD is 3 months old and I have decided I would like to start pumping to build up a supply so I can leave her with a sitter on occasion! I am a Stay-At-Home-Mom, so I want to mainly nurse/breastfeed. How do I start pumping up a supply and still have enough milk left to nurse her? My fear is pumping all my milk out only to have her wake up hungry immediately after. Is there a good place to look for information? I'm sorry if this is already posted somewhere...I am new to this site. Thanks in advance! :-)

Default Re: How to get started pumping while still nursing?

What kind of pump do you have?

You anticipate only needing to feed her EBM occasionally, correct? Then I would just pump for the few days leading up to whenever you are going to be leaving her. Pump both breasts immediately after feeding. I would suggest sometime in the morning, b/c that is when most mom's supply is highest. I would also suggest pumping just after nursing when you can usually count on her taking a long nap - for both my kids, that was around 9AM or so.

It may take you a few pumping sessions to build up enough milk for one bottle. This is okay.

I wouldn't build up a huge stash, b/c when you do go out, you will be pumping @ that time to replace the nursing session you missed (or right before, or right after), so you can then save that milk for next time.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I have a Medela Pump In Style. So...throughout one day, I can just keep pumping into the same bottles and putting them back into fridge? How long will fresh pumped milk stay in fridge before I need to move it to freezer?

Thank you so much! You are awesome!

You can combine milk from different pumping sessions, but you want it to be approx the same temp b/f you do. For instance, you can pump milk, leave it at room temp for a while (up to 8 hrs, according to some sources), then pump additional milk and combine. Or you can chill both of them in the fridge and then combine. I have added refrigerated milk to frozen before, but usually I try to only freeze a full "serving".

You can leave milk in the fridge for up to 7-8 days. Some people can have lipase problems (see stickied thread), and so have to freeze their milk right away.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Another option is to choose one time a day to pump regularly. Many moms choose morning because supply tends to be higher at that time. If you pump right after nursing or pump one side while you nurse on the other you won't have to worry too much about leaving baby hungry. That's never truly a concern because your body is constantly making milk, even if you nurse right after pumping there will be milk there, baby might just have to work a little harder to get it. At any rate if you do it regularly your body will get used to producing extra milk at that time and your output will grow, though you probably won't get much the first few times. That's one potential benefit to starting now rather than waiting until right before the milk is needed.

At 3 months old I wouldn't worry too much about pumping while you are out unless you are going out frequently or you get uncomfortably engorged while you are out.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous