Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unable to get all milk expressed...

Default Unable to get all milk expressed...

I notice lately that when I pump and it slows and eventually I stop getting milk in a session, I still have alot of hard "blocks" in my breast that I think are filled with milk. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the milk out of those hard areas. The rest of my breast is soft and I haven't gotten nearly what I'm supposed to. (I usually get 8-10 ounces of milk per day at work. Today I got 5.5 ounces but I feel like there is still more milk being retained in my breast.

Any advice?

Default Re: Unable to get all milk expressed...

Sounds like you might be developing a plugged duct.

First thing I would do is trouble shoot your pump - check tubing, membranes, etc.

Then, massage that area during pumping. Maybe just pump one side at a time so you can really work that/those area(s) w/ a free hand w/o worrying about the other side.

Would you be able to pump this weekend? I would try some power pumping. You might do well with more numerous, shorter pumping sessions.

Is your baby nursing better? (I remember from your other thread that you were having trouble). If so, he might be able to help you out a little w/ it this evening.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Sounds like you might be developing a plugged duct.

First thing I would do is trouble shoot your pump - check tubing, membranes, etc.

Then, massage that area during pumping. Maybe just pump one side at a time so you can really work that/those area(s) w/ a free hand w/o worrying about the other side.

Would you be able to pump this weekend? I would try some power pumping. You might do well with more numerous, shorter pumping sessions.

Is your baby nursing better? (I remember from your other thread that you were having trouble). If so, he might be able to help you out a little w/ it this evening.
    I should be able to pump this weekend. I can't feel my letdowns and I rarely become engorged so I never know when I can pump again after my last pump or after baby nurses. I work on a schedule during the day at work but if I were to "powerpump", I'm just not sure how often I would be able to pump while I'm still feeding LO.

Thanks for asking about my LO. Everyday is a different story with this little guy. Last night was a difficult night. He was fussy all night and didn't want to nurse (but, hey, at least he kept me up for the Royal Wedding!)...but was starving...so I gave up 2 precious bottles of BM that I could have used during the daytime while I'm at work and dealt with alot of screaming whenever I tried to put him to the breast. The previous night, on the other hand, was an idealistic dream night. He nursed, nursed, nursed and slept 3 hours at a time. I can't figure him out!

I wouldn't worry about letdowns or engorgement - just pump whenever you have a spare minute. Your baby is old enough that you probably aren't getting engorged that much anymore unless you haven't pumped in a while.

for all the trouble you've been having. Maybe he just wanted to make sure you would be up to watch the wedding
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

WSS. Definitely check your pump, and massage those blocked spots (I get the best results doing this in a hot bath, under the hot water, which stimulates a let down). I also massage blocks while I nurse or pump. But sometimes my pump just needs to be taken apart and put back together, to get the suction back to where it needs to be.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    WSS. Definitely check your pump, and massage those blocked spots (I get the best results doing this in a hot bath, under the hot water, which stimulates a let down). I also massage blocks while I nurse or pump. But sometimes my pump just needs to be taken apart and put back together, to get the suction back to where it needs to be.
    I've never taken my pump apart. I wouldn't even know where to start...

God, I would love a hot bath. Our bath has been out of order for months while we procrastinate on our plan to have it refinished. Part of the process is already done (removal of hardware and drain) rendering it useless for now.

I didn't know a hot bath would stimulate a let down. What about a hot shower?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    I've never taken my pump apart. I wouldn't even know where to start...

God, I would love a hot bath. Our bath has been out of order for months while we procrastinate on our plan to have it refinished. Part of the process is already done (removal of hardware and drain) rendering it useless for now.

I didn't know a hot bath would stimulate a let down. What about a hot shower?
    A hot shower is good too! The hot water is the trick. A lot of ladies do a hot compress - run a dishcloth under the hot tap, lay on the blocked part, then massage. I find it hard not to get my whole outfit wet that way, so I do the bath.

When I said take the pump apart, I meant, all the tubes and flanges and membranes, and then put everything back together, FIRMLY. Sometimes something gets loose and the suction suffers a lot more than you'd expect. Make sure everything is plugged into the front of the pump FIRMLY too.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I put new membranes on -- the ones I was using were three months old -- and the suction increased dramatically. They didn't even look worn
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

You can pour hot water in a disposable diaper to make a good hot compress, too. IMHO, it works better than a hot cloth.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thanks. I will keep the diaper trick in mind. Had a remarkably good weekend. Even managed to put one bag in freezer storage!