Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Swallow latch causing blister

Default Swallow latch causing blister

My DD is just over 3 months old and I have been using the nipple shield up until this past Tuesday. She is in daycare for 10 hours M-F so I only nurse her 3-4 times a day during the week. So I nursed her with no shield on Tuesday and Wednesday and then Wednesday night a blister showed up on the tip of my right nipple (I've tried previously to wean myself from the shield but always got a blister so this is nothing new).

We've been seeing the lactation consultant weekly (due to weight gain issues) and I just saw her on Monday and she said that latch was fine.....obviously NOT!

Is it possible to have a bad latch on only one side?

I try to trick DD in thinking that she is on my left side by nursing her in the football hold on the right side....it doesn't work.

The title should say Shallow.

Any advice?
    Last edited by @llli*ambersd; May 2nd, 2011 at 12:35 PM.

Default Re: Swallow latch causing blister

Yes, it's possible to have a poor latch on one side only. It may have to do with how you are holding her on that side. I tend to have that happen to my right side; I'm much more comfortable holding a baby to my left breast, and I tend to get sloppy or something when I put baby to the right and I would get milk blebs super easy (also, laying in bed offering the topmost breast would do it to me, but anything for some sleep)

So, change up how you put her to that side to let the blister heal and then work again on the latch on that side and see if you can sort it out. You can fix this.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Shallow latch causing blister

Apparently her latch was too shallow on both sides. I saw a new LC and she helped me correct the latch. My baby is 3 months and it's hard to train an old dog new tricks....Any tips on getting her to take to the breast easier?

How did the LC show you to change the latch? I am having shallow latch issues as well and I still haven't been told how to improve it?

You can use your finger to push the bottom lip down so it's latched on correctly. I would unlatch and redo it til it's right. But you can manually adjust it.

Air can help heal the blisters. APNO is helpful too.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nicki5780 View Post
    How did the LC show you to change the latch? I am having shallow latch issues as well and I still haven't been told how to improve it?
    Go see a different LC!!

She showed me the correct way to hold my baby....I use the cross cradle hold. So when I'm nursing on my left side, my right hand is behind the baby's neck and my left hand is supporting my boob. Then I tap my nipple on her lips to get her to open her mough and as soon as she does I JAM her forward onto my boob (it seems a little forcefull but it works). I am not to pull her away to look to check her lips...I just hold her in tight and let her nurse way...as long as I feel a PULLING/TUGGING sensation NOT and PINCHING sensation!!! And then do breast compresion to keep her sucking.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ambersd View Post
    So when I'm nursing on my left side, my right hand is behind the baby's neck and my left hand is supporting my boob.
    Do you stay in that position the whole time? I start out that way, but then I try to switch arms, so that my left arm is under/around DS's head. Otherwise, it's too much strain on my neck/back. However, when I am trying to make the switch, he sometimes loses the latch a little bit. I'm not sure if I should deal with the uncomfortableness of my neck or if I should risk losing a good latch!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    Do you stay in that position the whole time? I start out that way, but then I try to switch arms, so that my left arm is under/around DS's head. Otherwise, it's too much strain on my neck/back. However, when I am trying to make the switch, he sometimes loses the latch a little bit. I'm not sure if I should deal with the uncomfortableness of my neck or if I should risk losing a good latch!
    I stay in that position if DD is fighting me to back off my boob.