Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quick Question

Default Quick Question

Hi new to forum here is a little background- My son is 10 weeks, has always been a great feeder since birth, gaining weight well has good wet and poopy diapers. Recently (about past 5 nights) he has been sleeping a good 7-8 hours at night with a few short naps during the day. He has been feeding @ every 3 hours daytime and will feed at around 9 - 10 pm before going to sleep until he wakes at 5:30am for another feeding then starts his every 3 hours feedings. When he naps during the day if he goes past 3 hours i dont wake him to feed.

My question is should i wake myself up to pump at night so my milk supply doesnt decrease? I feel as though my breasts do not "fill up" like they were before and we do have occasional episodes where he just doesnt seem to get full during the day, i worry that i am not producing enough? I have been trying to pump after some of the daytime feedings.... sorry this got long winded this is my first baby so this is all new to me. Also what are the feelings on fenugreek to increase supply? thanks!

Default Re: Quick Question

As long as he has plenty of diapers, you don't need to worry about your supply. And if you are worried about it, I would make up the baby and nurse him instead of pumping. It sounds like everything is going really well! And the only thing I would do differently would be to wake him during the day if it has been longer than 3 hours. That's one of those things that always makes me nervous... I don't like to wake the baby, but I also don't want her sleeping 5 or 6 hours in a row during the day. If she wants to at night, that's fine - although it doesn't happen for me with my 14 week old.

Congratulations and
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Quick Question

I agree with the PP. My LO is almost 7 months old now(i can't believe it!) but when she was still a newborn I would wake her during the day if she slept longer than 3 hours to nurse. I wanted her to sleep longer stretches at night if possible.

What behaviors are you seeing that makes you think he's not full after some of the feeds? You are close to the 3 month post-partum mark which is when I noticed that breasts didn't feel as full either. Your body is adjusting the amount of milk it needs and it's perfectly normal for you not to feel as full of milk as before.
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!